Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 04:37 PM

British slang.

I don't know what you call it, but I've heard of slang that entails common phrases and words that rhyme. For example, a staircase might be referred to as "up the apples."

We still use it here. A bilabial fricative is still known here as "the raspberries."

Does anyone here know the etymology or history behind these words and phrases?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Re: British slang.

I think you mean `Cockney rhyming slang`

Apples and pears=stairs

Plates of meat=feet

being in a `two and eight`=state(of mind)

take a butchers -butchers hook=look

kin `ell guv
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 04:54 PM

you baint be from around these parts do thee?
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
you baint be from around these parts do thee?
Yup, that's the thing!

Do you know the background?

As for my travels, I live 80 miles from where I was born. Been to Canada once for three days in 1965. The only time I've been across the Mississippi River is to got to Sturgis, South Dakota and that area on vacations.

The only things I know about modern England is that teeth need reapir and the guys sit funny. Never owned a British car, and I wouldn't let my wife curtsy.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

09-08-2010, 05:23 PM

The background is not certain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang..

England may be tiny compared to the States but within say a 50 mile radius of anywhere the slang,accent and dialect changes
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

09-08-2010, 05:31 PM

We Brits do know about some Americans who never go too far from the place and the fate of those who try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N40d047u-L8&feature=fvst
Frothy
Birmingham England
Frothy is male  Frothy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 06:55 PM

I think you mean `Cockney rhyming slang`

Apples and pears=stairs

Plates of meat=feet

being in a `two and eight`=state(of mind)

take a butchers -butchers hook=look

kin `ell guv
Mince Pies...Eyes

North and South...Mouth

German Bands... Hands

Rag and Bone...Phone
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2010, 07:08 PM

There is also polari (or palare) - a gay slang language from here in the UK.

Language is great
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin

09-08-2010, 09:07 PM

England may be tiny compared to the States but within say a 50 mile radius of anywhere the slang,accent and dialect changes
I am located at a point on our Interstate system called 'the split.' Within Madison Wisconsin there is an intersection of three branches of that highway. One comes from Milwaukee Wisconsin, one comes from Chicago Illinois, and one heads to the upper west side of Wisconsin and into Minnesota. We call this Interstate section 39/90/94.

It's six lane highway, a poor man's Autobahn. High speeds, no stoplights and it's connected to anywhere in the nation. A Harley like my larger one can go +150 miles without stopping to top off for fuel. On a different bike I did 750 miles in one day.

I just like my area. The seasons change, we get snow for Christmas and Madison does not have the serious inner city problems that many places do. It's a college town, very liberal, very laid back.

My brother prefers Florida, and he is a college dean there. That's too muggy for me, I like the cooler less humid months in autumn.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2010, 09:45 PM

We Brits do know about some Americans who never go too far from the place and the fate of those who try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N40d047u-L8&feature=fvst
Oooo you aren't arf norty OG, but I like you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top