Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 07:48 AM

Re: Duck Eggs

In my experience, duck eggs taste no stronger than hens eggs. Duck eggs are very common round here and I often buy them. The only downside is that they are more expensive ... about £1. 50 / £1.80 for 6.

Goose egg is good too, but not so easy to find and expensive.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Ours are almost 8 years old & still lay 1egg each per day. We sometimes just throw the eggs way out in the field for the crows, or I'll boil them up for our rats.

Oooohhhh - what a wicked waste of a delightful food source darlin'. Duck eggs are fabulous!!! - as others have said baking with them is excellent, I also like poached duck eggs on toast - if they're left slightly 'runny' - the yolks are really 'rich' and wonderful.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
We have 4 ducks & I was excited about trying the eggs when they 1st began laying, years ago (they're going on 8 yrs old). Anyway the eggs are very large but afterwards I felt kind of nauseous. I realized later it's from all the oils from the ducks which I have a hard time with heavy, greasy things.

Then I used the eggs for baking & never had that same nauseous feeling. I quit eating them though because since our ducks are eating everything besides their pellets, worms, bugs, etc.you can taste the gaminess in the eggs during the warmer months.
Not for me.

Wasn't that all soooo appetizing to read?

Hi AC, I can't understand any of that because firstly, I don't see how the water protective oil in their feathers can get into an egg, certainly never enough to affect the taste of the yolk, and secondly, the worms, bugs etc they eat outside is exactly the same diet as free range chickens have and it doesn't make them taste 'gamey'.

I used to keep and breed Call Ducks, Muscovies and Indian Runners for many years, and the main thing you have to be vigilent about is where the eggs are laid. This is because their shells are more porous than hen eggs and so more likely to absorb bacteria into the egg. Hence never eat duck eggs found in soiled bedding, or dropped in wet patches in reeds/around ponds etc, and never store them with soiled shells, always clean them quickly, (although wrong cleaning can actually push the bacteria into the egg instead of away from it).

A fresh, clean duck egg used to taste no different to hens eggs to me, as Grumbleweed says, but the look of the albumen used to put me off a bit as its much thicker than a chicken egg.

I used to also keep/breed Brecon Buff geese as well but I didn't eat their eggs as they were a bit huge for me.
They were very popular to sell at the farm gate though, and also craft people liked to have them to decorate.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 12:26 PM

Absolutely right, it's the same here.

We gave someone some Pekin eggs (they really liked them) but they understood we were just doing that as a favour to them. Duck eggs have a very tough shell but they do get dirty, lol.
CoZme
New Member!
VE
CoZme is female 

15-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the best way to clean such an egg? I usually used dish soap and water, but understood nothing about the porous nature of the shell. (I like the goose egg for crafts idea.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top