Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 04:59 AM

Honey Crisis

As one of the world's largest producers of honey we are in a state of shock with honey in very short supply.

My local Coles had none and Woollies was very low on the stuff. One of the major suppliers has stickers on their jars saying "Use sparingly"

Apparently it has been a perfect storm with floods, drought and fires creating a major shortage of the stuff. They are bringing some in from overseas but it is not a patch on the local stuff.

Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 05:21 AM

Re: Honey Crisis

Oh dear poor Bees. As if they weren't having a hard enough time of it already
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Re: Honey Crisis

You're right, Bruce. Because of an unusual spate of weather conditions nation-wide, locally -produced honey is in short supply in Aus.
Very probably, it will be short-lived and things will soon return to normal.

The temptation is to buy imported stuff or local/imported blends or even honey blended with glucose (I could name a well-known brand).
This is not wise. Much of the overseas stuff is less than well-monitored for disease and other problems.

We are fortunate to have a close personal friend who has been a licensed bee-keeper for over sixty years (got his licence at 16).
He keeps us supplied with the best quality pure local stuff in exchange for a few fish which I give him.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top