Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

23-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Re: Avocado pears

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
Avocados ... The fruit with the colour and consistency of Palmolive soap, and the taste of candle wax. 😹
Having said the above, would it seem really weird of me to say that I quite like guacamole? 😹
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
Having said the above, would it seem really weird of me to say that I quite like guacamole? 😹
Split personality, Margoletta?
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

23-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Split personality, Margoletta?
Who, moi?

Don't believe a word she says, if it isn't one thing its another..

Yes but I don't like them.

Yes but I quite like guacamole.

Only if it has a good dollop of chilli in it.

We agree on that at least...
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 07:40 AM

orangutan & Venus,

No you are not the only ones. I love chicken and avocado sandwiches or fresh rolls and in fact we had them for tea Sunday night after a lovely bowl of home made soup.

Very expensive here at the moment though so limit them to one or two a week. Otherwise have them in the house all the time. Very good for you especially if you have cholesterol.

If my mango tree grows here and fruits (higher than the Hills Hoist at the moment) I might try putting an avocado tree in.

They usually like more tropical weather than what we have in South Australia.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 01:56 PM

I absolutely love them, and would eat more if they weren't so fattening - as I have just started trying to lose weight.
Paris
New Member!
Melbourne
Paris is female 

17-07-2014, 02:45 AM

Try slicing them and drizzling some Balsamic Vinegar over them or in a salsa with finely chopped fresh tomato, spanish onion, olive oil and white pepper
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2014, 09:31 AM

I am not a great fan but when they are in season they are pretty cheap and mashed up with something else make a nice enough sandwich or roll.

Mash them with lemon juice, and a herb like tarragon spread on bread with some meat or salami etc and it is not too bad, My kids liked avocado with something else on their school sandwiches occasionally when they were younger, my daughter still uses them as a spicey dip with finger food.

As I say I am not particularly fussed with them but they have their own web site:

http://www.avocado.org.au/

I have a couple in pots as a small ornamental tree because they grow very easily from the seed. (Damn things kept sprouting in my compost)

Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:42 PM

I love avocado. Just ate a whole one yesterday (I add them to my sandwiches) and what was left of the one I cut, I mashed it up with some sour cream and used it to dip my shrimp into.

Fabulous.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
I absolutely love them, and would eat more if they weren't so fattening - as I have just started trying to lose weight.
Yes, they're caloric, but they're so good for you, loaded with nutrients and heart-healthy fats and they say the monounsaturated fat contained in avocado can actually help the human body burn fat of its own
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 06:44 PM

I guess an avocado is a bit like an oyster-you love or hate.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top