Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Homemade Beer or Wine

This has probably been talked about already but has anyone had success making their own beer & is it expensive to do?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Re: Homemade Beer or Wine

Making beer and wine used to be a small cottage industry in our house many years ago. It's not expensive once you bought the utensils you need :- demi-johns for the wine and a small barrel for the beer and , of course, bottles and corks to put the finished product in. There used to be a small shop in our town where you could buy everything you needed. Wine can be made out of most fruit and some vegetables so, if you grow you own, that will cut down on the cost. Finally I would advise you to read up on brewing and wine making if you want good results.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks Alan, yes we have stores where you can buy kits but I was wondering if it turned out ok, ha ha.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 03:55 PM

I made both wine and beer for many years until this happened:- our two boys were of an age where they didn't want to go on holiday with us so we went with our daughter leaving the boys at home with 70 bottles of home made beer. When we got back home there was ONE bottle of beer left.........that's when I stopped brewing and started buying, telling my boys to also buy their own beer.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Thanks Alan, yes we have stores where you can buy kits but I was wondering if it turned out ok, ha ha.
I too used to make 'country' wines darlin' - as Alan says, wines can be made from most fruits, some from flowers and some from leaves. Its also possible to make wines from weeds (stinging nettles & dendelion flowers). Parsnip wine is absolutely lethal!!! and it is also possible to make liqueuers too.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

29-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I made both wine and beer for many years until this happened:- our two boys were of an age where they didn't want to go on holiday with us so we went with our daughter leaving the boys at home with 70 bottles of home made beer. When we got back home there was ONE bottle of beer left.........that's when I stopped brewing and started buying, telling my boys to also buy their own beer.
Ha ha! They were just showing you their appreciation for your moonshining talents

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top