Join for free
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Overgrown courgettes

Have made 'creamy courgette and cheese soup", a new recipe for me - after I found three overgrown courgettes hiding under the greenery!

Turned out to taste much nicer than it sounds!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Re: Overgrown courgettes

I love courgettes, I'll have them off you next time if you want a home for them
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:24 PM

I'm growing courgettes for the first time and they do tend to hide under the huge leaves. So far I've found plenty of uses for them in stirfries, bolognese, salads etc but I wonder if they can be frozen to make into soup at a later date.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Deb, if I find my courgettes growing too well again, I'll ask you for the recipe. Thankfully, I only did one plant.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
I'm growing courgettes for the first time and they do tend to hide under the huge leaves. So far I've found plenty of uses for them in stirfries, bolognese, salads etc but I wonder if they can be frozen to make into soup at a later date.
Hi Val why not make the soup now or cook, purée and freeze it will be ok for months.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:34 PM

I slice them and open-freeze them to use in soups, sauces etc at a later date. They're fine like that.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Val why not make the soup now or cook, purée and freeze it will be ok for months.
I'm not awfully good at cooking in advance, Meg, I tend to cook and eat, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I should make double quantity but I bet it'll still not reach the freezer!!
Val J
East Yorkshire

05-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
I slice them and open-freeze them to use in soups, sauces etc at a later date. They're fine like that.
I'll try that if I get more than I can use, thanks Deb.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 07:52 AM

I have loads of courgettes here at the moment . Made lovely soup yesterday which was so simple , just onion , carrots and courgette in vegetable stock . For the last five mins of cooking I put in a whole packet of fresh dill . Blended it up a bit but not totally . Mmmmmm gorgeous !
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 02:18 AM

What is an over-grown courgette? Is it one with the flowers on? If so, don't you know you can cook those as well, as they are edible?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top