Join for free
Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 12:53 PM

Re: Dreadful News regarding Las Vegas Attack!

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
And still no thoughts about the dead and injured, is it because they are Americans?
Even from you good self it seems ?
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Am I bothered? The sad fact is - I'm not, tragic as it is.

The Americans have the answer in their hands and yet they do nothing to remedy the situation, other than arm themselves to the teeth to protect themselves from mass shootings.

Which isn't working.........
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 12:54 PM

I read a suggestion somewhere saying, they should stop selling ammunition but l suppose it would be obtained in some other way?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 01:04 PM

50 people have died with many others injured.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey;1244850[B
]Am I bothered? The sad fact is - I'm not, tragic as it is.[/B]

The Americans have the answer in their hands and yet they do nothing to remedy the situation, other than arm themselves to the teeth to protect themselves from mass shootings.

Which isn't working.........
I think it is rather sad you feel like that Fogey.
I feel quite quite the opposite in fact.
You do have a point in respect of gun control though.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 01:35 PM

It is a sad fact B C. But until the Americans do something to help themselves, you'll get no hand wringing from me.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 01:38 PM

WOW I ONLY HEARD THE MORNING NEWS WHEN 2 WERE DEAD AND 20 HAD BULLET WOUNDS. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO FIND OUT WHY THESE IDIOT WERE SHOOTING PEOPLE
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Tragic.......Nut jobs who want to kill will do so whether it's legal to own a gun or not......I hardly think the law is utmost on their minds.

I don't agree with society having access to such an array of firearms but it doesn't make senseless killing any less tragic.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 02:27 PM

In my opnion (as an American) this is the recipe that caused this and other events. Some will disagree.

1. State run mental health centers were shut down in the late 1980s with the idea that people would be better served (and not mistreated) in small community centers close to their own homes. Great idea except these centers were never funded or built because of the recession at that time and a lack of budgetary prioritization since. The result (with too little care, too few social workers, ill-equipped or unwilling family and friends), was that tens of thousands of neurologically ill people were turned out on the streets with little or no support.

2. Culturally, we treat the mind (soul, body, spirit, etc) as a separate entity than the body and therefore not treated as a physical part of the body.

The result is that we have two separate health care systems - the health system that treats the body and the mental health system that treats the mind. On virtually every healthcare plan in America, mental healthcare policies are not covered by insurance. Appointments, hospitalization, treatment, medications all fall on the neurologically ill patient. What do they do? They don't get properly diagnosed and treated.

3. Culturally, there is still an almost universal bias against neurologically ill people. We expect people to take control of their lives.How do we handle it? We ignore it. "Pull yourself up by your boostraps, man." Real men and real men don’t get depressed. Watch how many well-meaning people will donate blood but won’t demand a revolution in neurological health care that would have prevented this - or worse, the ones in our nation's schools.

4. Our news media create a culture of fear. People sense they are constantly under threat and need guns. When I visited a small peaceful community a couple of years ago where the greatest crime was someone who let their dog run the neighborhood without a leash, I came across a man who was in a golf cart carrying a gun. When I asked him why he needed it, he mentioned something about thugs and terrorists. That man was much more dangerous than any loose dog in that town...

5. Culturally, in the land of rednecks, action movies, hunting trophies, and cowboys - real men carry guns. Real men solve their own problems rather than call emergency services, so they need to be armed.

6. An over-application of the Constitution. Sorry, but bearing arms does have limits or soon we are all keeping rocket launchers in the kitchen.

Until we get rid of the concept of "mental health" and just make it "health" and get people's brains treated, this kind of activity will continue. Further, until we need to remember that civilized people create a system of protection (law enforecement) and defense (military) for the very purpose of not having our own stockpiles of guns and ammunition.

(Forgive typos, grammar errors etc. no time to edit right now )
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
In my opnion (as an American) this is the recipe that caused this and other events. Some will disagree.

1. State run mental health centers were shut down in the late 1980s with the idea that people would be better served (and not mistreated) in small community centers close to their own homes. Great idea except these centers were never funded or built because of the recession at that time and a lack of budgetary prioritization since. The result (with too little care, too few social workers, ill-equipped or unwilling family and friends), was that tens of thousands of neurologically ill people were turned out on the streets with little or no support.

2. Culturally, we treat the mind (soul, body, spirit, etc) as a separate entity than the body and therefore not treated as a physical part of the body.

The result is that we have two separate health care systems - the health system that treats the body and the mental health system that treats the mind. On virtually every healthcare plan in America, mental healthcare policies are not covered by insurance. Appointments, hospitalization, treatment, medications all fall on the neurologically ill patient. What do they do? They don't get properly diagnosed and treated.

3. Culturally, there is still an almost universal bias against neurologically ill people. We expect people to take control of their lives.How do we handle it? We ignore it. "Pull yourself up by your boostraps, man." Real men and real men don’t get depressed. Watch how many well-meaning people will donate blood but won’t demand a revolution in neurological health care that would have prevented this - or worse, the ones in our nation's schools.

4. Our news media create a culture of fear. People sense they are constantly under threat and need guns. When I visited a small peaceful community a couple of years ago where the greatest crime was someone who let their dog run the neighborhood without a leash, I came across a man who was in a golf cart carrying a gun. When I asked him why he needed it, he mentioned something about thugs and terrorists. That man was much more dangerous than any loose dog in that town...

5. Culturally, in the land of rednecks, action movies, hunting trophies, and cowboys - real men carry guns. Real men solve their own problems rather than call emergency services, so they need to be armed.

6. An over-application of the Constitution. Sorry, but bearing arms does have limits or soon we are all keeping rocket launchers in the kitchen.

Until we get rid of the concept of "mental health" and just make it "health" and get people's brains treated, this kind of activity will continue. Further, until we need to remember that civilized people create a system of protection (law enforecement) and defense (military) for the very purpose of not having our own stockpiles of guns and ammunition.

(Forgive typos, grammar errors etc. no time to edit right now )
Well said, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Page 2 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top