Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:21 AM

Re: How close are you to your pet?

They are allowed anywhere I am so I close the bedrooms to them during the day if I didn't they tend to heap all the duvets and make grand nest of them. Not helpful I find. But if I go to the loo I am never alone, if I go to the kitchen they are with me. I think I conditioned them young to do that as a multi dog household I tend to encourage puppies to follow me where I go so I can keep an eye on them, don't want anyone bullied or to get into trouble.

They only follow me everyone else gets private bathroom time, I have to encourage them off the bath mat so I can get out the shower because they like to lay on it while I have my shower.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:23 AM

very close indeed -3 cats roam in my home ' come in of a evening when I call certain time -think they all wear watches 'as they know when iam up and all meal times - all adorable .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
When we had animals they were treated as such, not as surrogate humans. They weren't illtreated but never permitted to invade our personal spaces like the bedrooms, kitchen or sitting room. The dogs had kennels, the cats had cathouses.
Makes me wonder why you ever bothered.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I have a south african friend she finds the idea of having animals in doors very strange. Where she came from they guarded the house and always stayed outside. When she told me the dangers they had I could sort of see it as sensible thing to do, but personally I think I would have moved as she did eventually to a safer place. I have another friend who has working sheep dogs they live in the barn and only come in during worst weather in the winter as he doesn't want them to become pets they have a job and that's that. I am not going to judge him as he treats them very well apart from not having them in the house and when he is with them they clearly love him and never leave his side.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Teazle has the run of the house apart from the bedrooms. If we are out she is confined to the , she has her own bed in there as well
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Teazle has the run of the house apart from the bedrooms. If we are out she is confined to the , she has her own bed in there as well
Now I'm curious confined to the ? what ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
They were to be of use, not as toys as many people seem to treat their animals.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Does it have the run of the house or are there restrictions?

Do you let it sleep in your bed?
I don't have a pet but have reluctantly looked after some for a week or two while the owner(s) went on holiday. They inevitably say their pet "might sleep on your bed with you at night but it'll not bother you" to which I think to myself, damn right, it's getting shut out of the room entirely.

I also didn't allow the pet on furniture, either. The pets never seemed unduly bothered once they knew the rules.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Well said! I can't abide it when some people treat them as some sort of surrogate child, either. It seems laughable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-09-2019, 10:56 AM

I don't think I have ever seen anyone use one as a toy, many see them as I do as family but that's not treating them like toys.

They are sentient creatures who enjoy interacting with their human families.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top