Join for free
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Hearing aids.

My wife complained bitterly about having to repeat herself constantly, after hearing only part of muttered conversations, I relented and went to the hospital to the audiology department to be fitted with hearing aids, apparently I had diminished hearing , would the aids enhance the sound or increase the volume, the young lady merely shrugged her shoulders, I was not prepared to be plunged into such a world of cacophonous noise, I had not realised that the world is such a noisy place, now I can hear the cat licking up water from his bowl, I can hear every scrape every slight murmur every car door bang every slight click of my wife's knitting needles the deafening sound of the ticking clock, I have got to admit that my hearing was worse than I had imagined, still learning how to cope with this world of unimagined sound.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Re: Hearing aids.

I know the feeling Bill, it’s strange being back in the world again isn’t it?

I’ve had mine for about five years now and wouldn’t be without them. Mine are the invisible ones that hide in the ear, the only problem I find with them is they eat up the batteries - I have to put new batteries in twice a week, that’s 4 batteries!

I hope you get on well with them, they certainly made a huge difference to me.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 08:46 AM

I will need one eventually, but I am putting off that day for as long as possible. No doubt the kids will eventually have my arm up my back and I will be frogmarched to see the audiologist.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:31 AM

My wife had a couple of NHS ones that fit behind the ear, from Specsavers last year. They even give you a fair amount of batteries whenever you need them, free of charge. She says it's certainly improved her hearing, although she takes them off at various times. As for myself, I'm teetering on the edge of it all, been told I could do with some, but resisting somewhat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Couldn't get on with mine I hated the noise on the streets, the person doing a shrill sudden whistle nearly gave me a heart attack. So I abandoned them and carry on trying to make sure people look at me when they speak. Why they can't just turn their heads so they speak directly to me I don't know. Well when driving I get it but rest of the time just look at me !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Nice not having to use them, don't hear "er Indoors" moaning about what I should be doing
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Nice not having to use them, don't hear "er Indoors" moaning about what I should be doing
LOL I put up a white board in the hallway and write each persons jobs on them including mine and tick them off as they are done. No moaning no nagging just read the board.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
My wife complained bitterly about having to repeat herself constantly, after hearing only part of muttered conversations, I relented and went to the hospital to the audiology department to be fitted with hearing aids, apparently I had diminished hearing , would the aids enhance the sound or increase the volume, the young lady merely shrugged her shoulders, I was not prepared to be plunged into such a world of cacophonous noise, I had not realised that the world is such a noisy place, now I can hear the cat licking up water from his bowl, I can hear every scrape every slight murmur every car door bang every slight click of my wife's knitting needles the deafening sound of the ticking clock, I have got to admit that my hearing was worse than I had imagined, still learning how to cope with this world of unimagined

sound.
that was so funny bill made me lol '' I can just imagine the loudness - my hubby needs one badly I have to turn the sound down every time I speak to him ..
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
My wife complained bitterly about having to repeat herself constantly, after hearing only part of muttered conversations, I relented and went to the hospital to the audiology department to be fitted with hearing aids, apparently I had diminished hearing , would the aids enhance the sound or increase the volume, the young lady merely shrugged her shoulders, I was not prepared to be plunged into such a world of cacophonous noise, I had not realised that the world is such a noisy place, now I can hear the cat licking up water from his bowl, I can hear every scrape every slight murmur every car door bang every slight click of my wife's knitting needles the deafening sound of the ticking clock, I have got to admit that my hearing was worse than I had imagined, still learning how to cope with this world of unimagined sound.
You can turn them down...or if you opted for the automatic variety the self adjust depending on the noise levels
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Several years ago I, too, was bombarded with complaints from Marge that she had to repeat everything. Consequently, I went to my local NHS audiology department (Withington Hospital) and asked to be tested.

Unlike the OP, though, I was not met with 'shrugged shoulders'! In fact, everyone was very professional and helpful. I, too, was given free (digital) hearing aids and a plentiful supply of free batteries, and went away rejoicing... or Marge did.

Having worn them a few times, though, I found that they irritated my ears and, as a result, found myself wearing them increasingly less frequently. Eventually, they found themselves consigned to the cupboard where they still reside, almost forgotten.

Not long afterwards Marge, once again, made her displeasure known and insisted that I should try some private hearing aids. "We can afford them," she said. So off we went to the recently opened audiology department in our nearby Boots opticians, where we have always enjoyed excellent service.

Having taken the offer of a 'free trial', I decided (after suitable prompting by Marge) that I'd take up the deal. I have a pair of Phonak B90 hearing aids which benefit from being rechargeable, so no messing about with batteries; I just pop them in the charger when I go to bed.

Unfortunately, though, they still irritated my ears which I assume must be very sensitive (rather like their owner). The private audiologist suggested some different earpieces - 'C-cells' (not 'sea shells' as I initially misheard) - which are tailored to fit by making a mould from some sticky stuff that they shove in your earhole. These seem to be a little easier, most of the time, so I still wear them routinely to the joy of my long-suffering wife. The other incentive to persist comes from the £3500 I paid for them.

In all honestly, though, I am not entirely impressed with these hearing aids, especially bearing in mind their cost.

Despite the 'special features' stated in the information booklet, they still hiss in breezy conditions even though the audiologist has made several 'adjustments'. They also don't automatically pick up signals from a telephone receiver placed near the ear and, they claim, transmit the sound to both hearing aids.

Another claim (of many) was that they can be adjusted to amplify sound from someone in front of you when needed and ignore sounds from behind, such as in a noisy restaurant or in a car. This doesn't work very well either.

In short, they are OK and do make hearing easier but, to be honest, I wouldn't buy them again (after the 5-year warranty expires).

I think, when the time comes, I'll go back to the NHS audiologist and ask to return to their units which, perhaps, might be updated by then.

If they still irritate, I'll compromise: turn them on when I need them (eg, watching the telly) and take them out when not really needed (eg, Marge nagging!).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top