Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:46 PM

Re: Can we weigh people up on sight?

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Do we ever wonder if the ladies go through the same process? Maybe my wife has seen various men throughout her life and wondered how she got stuck with such a loser (me).

And if that's the case, she'd better make up her mind pretty soon. She's presently 83 and has been stuck with me for 66 years, 63 of them married.
That's wonderful, Dave. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Congratulations
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I like to think l can weigh people up but I’m afraid, l am suspicious and wary until l know them better.
Some people l can tell straight away, as my back goes funny (like a cats!)and l have to get away from them!
Us Brits are quite guarded compared to others. When you meets someone in America, you are told the person's name, what State they were born in, what they do for a living and the birth weight of their first grandchild.... all within a few minutes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
Do we ever wonder if the ladies go through the same process? Maybe my wife has seen various men throughout her life and wondered how she got stuck with such a loser (me).

And if that's the case, she'd better make up her mind pretty soon. She's presently 83 and has been stuck with me for 66 years, 63 of them married.
Sometimes we all think we are 'losers' Dave but if she is still with you, you are probably better than you think. Either that or very rich.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Us Brits are quite guarded compared to others. When you meets someone in America, you are told the person's name, what State they were born in, what they do for a living and the birth weight of their first grandchild.... all within a few minutes.
In exchange for a blueberry pancake
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good point, Summer.
Online is much different. We don't have much to go on because although we can judge fairly well how people come across, we don't see their mannerisms, feel their warmth or hear the tone of their voices. All we have to go on are little yellow faces to express a point!
Having said that, some are much better than others at showing their online personalities.
Internet "friends" are no substitute for real life friends you known for years though and until we meet someone in person that we talk to regularly on the net, we cannot be too sure about them.
Dont you think you've been watching too much world cup rugby
Floydy if you are seeing nothing but little yellow faces??
Regards Donkeyman!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 11:21 AM

I used to be able to tell which were men and which were women, Now I am not so sure
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-10-2019, 12:02 PM

In exchange for a blueberry pancake
With syrup.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I don't think it's possible to "weigh" anybody up on first sight. I think you can hold strong opinions on what kind of people who you like and who you don't. But I try avoid summing somebody up too quickly or making judgements. I like to sit back and observe people over time. See how they behave on a number of different occasions and listen to (or read) what they have to say about different things, balance up their opinions, values etc. If you do that long enough with people they will often reveal their true selves. Like sometimes you will not think much of somebody at first; or maybe you will take a shine to them straight away. Then they will say and do things that slowly change your mind. Either way. What you do with that knowledge, however is entirely up to you. Sometimes I know people will think that they have me all summed up. I have resented that in the past but I can't do anything about it so I don't let it worry me now.
That tends to be my approach, too - any other way is, IMO, presumptive .....

On occasions, though, I have the same reaction as:

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Some people l can tell straight away, as my back goes funny (like a cats!) and l have to get away from them!
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:45 PM

yep good at weighing people at first glance always been the same '
and usally tell what a person is like online as well ………...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Do you take people as you find them or do you see the best in people?
Are you quick to judge someone by the way they come across?
Are you blessed with good psychology and instinct?
I take people as I find them, other than of course, if they are hostile in some way or immediately set alarm bells ringing. If they have a 'darker' side then this soon shows itself as I tend to pick up on 'bad vibes'. Should this fail me and a person does gain my trust and later betrays that trust then it's obviously me who suffers in some way as a result. This has happened on occasions but that's part of life for most people anyway, you just learn from it, 'ditch them' and move on.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top