Join for free
Page 15 of 40 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thank you, I have seen fire doors on corridors, but I wondered if they would put them on each flat in order to contain the fire to one home.

I suppose I am looking for an answer, so this could never happen again at another high rise building, but we will hear the main cause soon , I expect.
That's the norm these days, not only that, fire doors are fitted to all rooms within the flat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Was going to say this myself. The only time that I've installed magnetic door retainers for fire doors was in an `old-folks` home many years ago. These are linked to a fire alarm system which shuts them off when activated. All other HMOs I've worked on have standard fire doors that are auto closing but I've seen instances where tenants have purposely jammed the doors open between rooms to make it easier for them to go room to room.
I'm afraid we've done that they were so heavy we could have cut a dog in half or broken an arm if they closed on us. Need air flow too or we would get damp in rooms.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 01:56 PM

It has to be said Teresa May has had so much to deal with in the short months of her premiership .
She has said that all the people who have lost their homes will be rehomed in London one wonders where given the huge housing crisis in London anyway.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 01:56 PM

Surely time for some arrests!

Whoever was "responsible" for the safety, in this block" must have been guilty of criminal neglect. or even homicide.

If we spend several more years having a review of this incident there will be others who die in the meantime.

Lock up the owners, NOW, and let them put up their defence over the "several more years" rather than having a review.

They were formally warned, more than once, of the perceived dangers.

They failed to act.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 01:59 PM

The death toll now stand at 17 and is expected to be higher .The fire deptment has said the recovery search for bodies will take several weeks why will it take so long?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Surely time for some arrests!

Whoever was "responsible" for the safety, in this block" must have been guilty of criminal neglect. or even homicide.

If we spend several more years having a review of this incident there will be others who die in the meantime.

Lock up the owners, NOW, and let them put up their defence over the "several more years" rather than having a review.

They were formally warned, more than once, of the perceived dangers.

They failed to act.
While I agree I think it's too soon at the moment, let them get the bodies out and be sure how many have died before we take the next step.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It has to be said Teresa May has had so much to deal with in the short months of her premiership .
She has said that all the people who have lost their homes will be rehomed in London one wonders where given the huge housing crisis in London anyway.
Hope they can get the survivors somewhere where they can feel safe!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

15-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The death toll now stand at 17 and is expected to be higher .The fire deptment has said the recovery search for bodies will take several weeks why will it take so long?
Got to be sure it's safe for those who must go in to investigate.

Then, they need forensic people to analyse whatever "remains" . Not easy I imagine?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2017, 02:51 PM

A fire officier has just answered this question .
The building is not safe for firemen to go into and must be shored up .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I see from papers that this isn't first time the cladding has been blamed for lives lost, it's happened before in another country. If that's true IMO we should be looking at criminal charges.
It makes you wonder what the European safety bods have been up to for all these years.... oh yes, playground conkers. The recent electrical item I bought had twelve pages of safety information, yet we are allowed to use flammable cladding on tower blocks.

Page 15 of 40 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top