Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 07:25 AM

Can we weigh people up on sight?

Do you take people as you find them or do you see the best in people?
Are you quick to judge someone by the way they come across?
Are you blessed with good psychology and instinct?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Re: Can we weigh people up on sight?

Hmmm - Maybe not on sight, Floydy, but certainly after about 10 mins conversation. I am pretty good at recognizing kindred spirits. I like people - they are fascinating, interesting, annoying, disturbing all at once. In general I focus on the good things about them and work from there.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

I'm pretty much the same as you, Tabby although being in Yorkshire (and this is not a biased statement), I see more down-to-earth and genuinely easy to read people than I have seen in other areas. What you see is what you get.

Having said that, they are not always so approachable and many are deep and complex.

The people who I am not so keen on are those who give nothing away and keep their cards close to their chest. I see that as secretive and cannot trust those types.

A firm handshake and honest smile mean everything.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

The people who I am not so keen on are those who give nothing away and keep their cards close to their chest. I see that as secretive and cannot trust those types.
You could look at that in another way. Could you really trust anyone that tells you their life story at the drop of a hat!

Some have their reasons for not baring their all and often secrecy has nothing to do with that. It's called being careful.

Just because you want to know doesn't mean you have a rights to know.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:28 AM

I met my wife 33 years ago, it was love at first sight, but I'm still weighing her up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
You could look at that in another way. Could you really trust anyone that tells you their life story at the drop of a hat!

Some have their reasons for not baring their all and often secrecy has nothing to do with that. It's called being careful.

Just because you want to know doesn't mean you have a rights to know.
That's different, Solo. No need to highlight your point btw, I can understand what you are trying to say...
I'm talking about people who are basically unfriendly and don't want any contact. People who are not wanting to be open with us.
It doesn't mean we want to be nosey and know everything about them, just be able to see a little warmth in their character perhaps?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I met my wife 33 years ago, it was love at first sight, but I'm still weighing her up.
Oh all the time! Me too, d00d.
We men can never figure out a woman's ways
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
How lovely!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 09:02 AM

I find it difficult ro share really personal things online.....I'm better with pals in real life...have to admit I'm envious of people who can speak openly about really personal things but it's just not in my make up. I'm not secretive though Floydy...I hope I don't come over like that.

On making judgements on people here I'm not sure it's possible and I try not to....I know people do and im sure they get it wrong a lot of the time.

In real life I think you can be better informed....my son in law told me the day he met my daughter be knew he would marry her....how sweet is that
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I find it difficult ro share really personal things online.....I'm better with pals in real life...have to admit I'm envious of people who can speak openly about really personal things but it's just not in my make up. I'm not secretive though Floydy...I hope I don't come over like that.

On making judgements on people here I'm not sure it's possible and I try not to....I know people do and im sure they get it wrong a lot of the time.

In real life I think you can be better informed....my son in law told me the day he met my daughter be knew he would marry her....how sweet is that
Good point, Summer.
Online is much different. We don't have much to go on because although we can judge fairly well how people come across, we don't see their mannerisms, feel their warmth or hear the tone of their voices. All we have to go on are little yellow faces to express a point!
Having said that, some are much better than others at showing their online personalities.
Internet "friends" are no substitute for real life friends you known for years though and until we meet someone in person that we talk to regularly on the net, we cannot be too sure about them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top