Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:25 PM

Re: Programs from one's youth

Originally Posted by Westender ->
My first and vague memory of the box would have to be Wally Whyton singing the big ship sailed on The Alley alley oh.
Eventually moved on to Captain Scarlet, Lost in Space and Ace of Wands.

As for the radio, Junior Choice, they used to play that song by Val Doonican about a toy that made strange noises and did odd things.
I never knew just what that was and I guess I never will.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:35 PM

No doubt effigies and statues will be burned down for even mentioning this, but ...

The Black and White Minstrel Show.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Do you mean the Out of Town series Dex?

Used to fair enjoy that series. There was another one in a similar vein about different sorts of fishing whose name escapes me. Nice theme tune though.

Damn. Will have to trawl through YouTube now to try to find it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

08-07-2020, 12:58 PM

No mention of Supercar with Mike Mercury? He had eyebrows like Denis Healey

Fireball XL5 with Steve Zodiac, Venus and Robbie the Robot deserve a mention too. Even though set in the future, the attitudes of the sixties still remained. Venus, co-pilot of the rocket ship, although being a doctor and scientist is still expected to make the coffee for the male crew.

marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:30 PM

Lots mentioned I recall with a smile, of a memory or two.

No one mentioned The Munsters, Funny how watching it many years later, you get jokes like " They don't make men like you anymore " over my head as a kid

Still I could watch that and the Adams family.

Just thinking, were they kids programmes or more for grown ups
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I never knew just what that was and I guess I never will.
Spot on!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Quatermass And The Pit.... but l was terrified and used to watch it from behind the chair!
It’s marvellous how a budget, simple black and white programme would scare you out of your wits, yet today they spend millions on films to have the same effect!
Ah yes. Quatermass. I've seen a couple of films with his name involved, and a TV series recently repeated (and copied by me!).

I agree, though, that The Pit was probably the best. Yes it was in black and white and the effects are almost amateurish by today's standards, yet it benefits from an excellent idea and storyline; something that so many modern and expensive-to-produce films these days fail to achieve.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
No doubt effigies and statues will be burned down for even mentioning this, but ...

The Black and White Minstrel Show.

Yes, joking apart though, my parents (and consequently I and my siblings) watched that.
I can honestly say that there was never ever a mention, or even a thought, about the fact that white men had 'blacked up'. Of course, that was in the days before some 'minorities' found it advantageous to complain about such things.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

08-07-2020, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah yes. Quatermass. I've seen a couple of films with his name involved, and a TV series recently repeated (and copied by me!).

I agree, though, that The Pit was probably the best. Yes it was in black and white and the effects are almost amateurish by today's standards, yet it benefits from an excellent idea and storyline; something that so many modern and expensive-to-produce films these days fail to achieve.
I've just downloaded the original Quatermass and the Pit TV series from th'internet. The film version sticks very closely to the TV version except for putting Andrew Keir in the role of Bernard Quatermass instead of Andre Morell.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-07-2020, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've just downloaded the original Quatermass and the Pit TV series from th'internet. The film version sticks very closely to the TV version except for putting Andrew Keir in the role of Bernard Quatermass instead of Andre Morell.
I've just had a look at my recordings and I seem to have:
- Quatermass and the Pit (two versions - 1958 and 1967)
- The Quatermass Experiment
- Quatermass II

I can't remember Quatermass II, so I'll have to get it out again and have a look at it.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top