Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:45 AM

Allotment food

The asparagus and rhubarb is shooting up now and I got my first lot of both yesterday. The asparagus was eaten for dinner last night and Mrs mart will most likely make rhubarb crumble later. (How do you make rhubarb crumble - hit it repeatedly with a hammer ).

My friend does the actual growing. She is very good at that. The way I earn my fruit and veg. is by doing the digging, muck spreading, fence and border construction etc. etc.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:52 AM

Re: Allotment food

Oh you are making me envious, Mart. I have a heap of various things growing in my raised beds, but things are so slow due to the weather. I started a bit later, right enough so plenty of time yet. Cannot wait to eat some homegrown food!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:55 AM

Nor can my slugs they love it !
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Nor can my slugs they love it !
I put Vaseline all round the edges of my beds to stop that, Muddy...petroleum jelly works too. Just a thought.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 10:00 AM

I'm sure it is the cold weather slowing things down. It was those couple of warmer days we had that made the asparagus shoot up. The rhubarb was forced and looks a good colour all over.

The celery seedlings, even kept in the greenhouse, look like they might fail.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

12-05-2021, 10:02 AM

I'm trying to harden off some peas and beans right now, but they are looking quite rough, so I put them back in the mini greenhouse to liven them up a bit. Probably doing more harm than good, but I can try....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-05-2021, 10:16 AM

We planted the peas yesterday. They were started in the greenhouse and grown in some lengths of house guttering filled with compost. I dug a groove in the allotment and we slowly coaxed the peas off the guttering into it. Planting this way saved disturbing/separating the roots of the seedlings. We did it like that last year and the peas grew well.

Regarding those pesky slugs, I'm growing strawberries in tubs raised off the ground this year. I'll be keeping a daily eye on them for determined slugs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Lucky Mart I hope you enjoy your feast. Homegrown is hard to beat.

I love asparagus, I don't grow it, space is too limited and living next to the Vale of Evesham (arguably the asparagus capitol of the world ) it doesn't seem worth it.
I like a plateful on its own, steamed and with a bowl of melted butter to dip the shoots in...yum...

I also love rhubarb particularly the forced Yorkshire pink variety cooked in orange juice . It makes great Pigs Bum pudding too which my grandchildren love
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-05-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Lucky Mart I hope you enjoy your feast. Homegrown is hard to beat.

I love asparagus, I don't grow it, space is too limited and living next to the Vale of Evesham (arguably the asparagus capitol of the world ) it doesn't seem worth it.
I like a plateful on its own, steamed and with a bowl of melted butter to dip the shoots in...yum...

I also love rhubarb particularly the forced Yorkshire pink variety cooked in orange juice . It makes great Pigs Bum pudding too which my grandchildren love
I ate the asparagus the same way Meg, except is was lightly cooked (softened) in the microwave. It was eaten as a side dish to an Iceland 'luxury range' moussaka, which was also very nice.

Mrs mart just ate the rhubarb with some custard. There wasn't a lot of it, so no rhubarb crumble for me this time.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

13-05-2021, 05:16 PM

It's apple blossom time at the allotment..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top