Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 12:44 AM

Milk pudding query

Simple question really, which is the ingredient for the sticky milk pudding affectionately known by school kids as 'frogspawn'? Is it sago or tapioca? I mean the one with the bigger 'pearls'?

When I was a kiddie there were the three degrees as it were, fine semolina - delish with a dollop of jam, or the custardy/vanilla flavoured creamola, then a slightly more pearly variety, then a really sticky chewy and bigger pearl, but forget which is which. Anyone remember?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 12:53 AM

Re: Milk pudding query

Tapioca was always called frogspawn when I was at school, I hated it!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 12:57 AM

So are you saying that tapioca is the really big one? See I loved it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Sago is the one with the biggest 'pearls', Tapioca is smaller. I love both of them. I think sago is made from a palm and tapioca from a root - but I could be wrong.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Yes Tapioca is the frogspawn. I used to love it at school dinners but sometimes the lumps put you off.
I still buy it but in tins and I also buy Semolina too.
Don't eat a lot of sweets but do like some kind of milk pudding
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Sago is bigger but it was tapioca at school. Both are lovely.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 09:53 AM

Bleugh!!! - hated it at school, home and still do!!!

One of the 'puddings' they gave at school were two oatmeal biscuits (bricks) with a dollop of semolina and a teaspoon of rose-hip syrup. I think the only reason we had the semolina was to try and soften the oatmeal biscuits, which if you held a spoon or fork on them and then hit your hand, the biscuit would shatter in a million pieces.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 11:10 AM

They are both starch from the the root of the tree and exactly the same stuff.

That's a sago palm in Sarawak - not very impressive but I love sago/tapioca still make and eat the milk pudding

Semolina is from wheat I think, not related to sago at all
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Sorry Bruce - but they are not from the same plant.

Tapioca and sago are two products that are used to make puddings for dessert but they both have a difference in their botanical origin. While the sago comes from the middle part of the trunk of the sago palm, the tapioca comes from the tuber of cassava or manioc which grows in tropical weather and is known to be very insect resistant. Nevertheless, many misleading packages of dried sago tend to claim that sago and tapioca come from the fruit of a sago palm.
God Bless Wikipaedia !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Well whatever plants they come from they are all delicious and a good cheap pudding too.

Inspired me to make a rice pudding for molliepops she loved that as a puppy and I am betting she would love it now !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top