Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Re: So Hard To Find Decent Food

Home made vegetable soup tonight. That's
decent food.
CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:07 PM

I've read that less than 2% of Americans tested actually have celiac disease.

Advertisers caught on to a new buzz-word; gluten. A bag of celery stalks or a pound of beef is labeled " Gluten Free" for the eye to pick up on.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Not for less then £1
A £ for a yoghurt , what a ripoff !!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
A £ for a yoghurt , what a ripoff !!
Thats a family size tub, not an individual pot size
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Eating those protein rich yogurts make me feel like I'm eating a 3 course meal!
Thats the idea of them, fill yourself up on protein rather then sugar

A large pot does me a week, two spoons of it mixed with some muesli at 6am keeps me going till lunch
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 11:01 PM

Well if I eat gluten it's like there's a sack of cement in my stomach and I don't want to talk to anyone for a few hours. If i combine it with nuts I go into shock. I thought I had some sort of bowel or stomach cancer before I was diagnosed. It was like being slowly poisoned. There is nothing I would love more than to have a fresh danish pastry or just baked bloomer slathered in butter. I can just smell and remember how delicious that is. I am so grateful for all the choice because it means I can take a sandwich to work or bake a cake. I am really thrilled that the allergy labelling is so strict. It's so easy for manufacturers to avoid gluten without compromising on flavour and in fact it's healthier for people to not eat too much of it because it is hard to digest even if your body hasn't decided to hate it.

OGF I can find plenty of unhealthy choices in the aisles. Camembert, Brie, Port Salut. But if you want olden style food go to a foreign deli.

I don't see the appeal of Skyr. It tastes bitter. I love Onken set yoghurt. They used to do little pots of set yoghurt but now it's all stirred. Cost saving maybe. You can still get them in France and Spain. lovely with a bit of honey in the morning. The stirred stuff makes my eyes water.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2018, 11:39 PM

Can't stand yoghurt at any price - but have no problem sourcing other healthy and delicious foods.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Get into Lidl and pick up their Skyr yoghurt
Skyr is the most delicious yoghurt ive ever had. I love it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well if I eat gluten it's like there's a sack of cement in my stomach and I don't want to talk to anyone for a few hours. If i combine it with nuts I go into shock. I thought I had some sort of bowel or stomach cancer before I was diagnosed. It was like being slowly poisoned. There is nothing I would love more than to have a fresh danish pastry or just baked bloomer slathered in butter. I can just smell and remember how delicious that is. I am so grateful for all the choice because it means I can take a sandwich to work or bake a cake. I am really thrilled that the allergy labelling is so strict. It's so easy for manufacturers to avoid gluten without compromising on flavour and in fact it's healthier for people to not eat too much of it because it is hard to digest even if your body hasn't decided to hate it.

OGF I can find plenty of unhealthy choices in the aisles. Camembert, Brie, Port Salut. But if you want olden style food go to a foreign deli.

I don't see the appeal of Skyr. It tastes bitter. I love Onken set yoghurt. They used to do little pots of set yoghurt but now it's all stirred. Cost saving maybe. You can still get them in France and Spain. lovely with a bit of honey in the morning. The stirred stuff makes my eyes water.
I'm not a dietician Annie, but I try to watch what I eat, although being a runner for most of my life means I can virtually eat what I want and never put on any weight. I also have an interest in food and how it is utilised by the body. It seems that the problems with gluten is a new phenomenon. It was never heard of when I was a youngster.

My theory is that it's not actually the gluten that is causing the bloating and discomfort but the fats present. As we age our bodies are less able of processing those fats and therefore they remain in the gut far longer than they should, making us feel bloated and full of wind. Our stomach acids are also weaker than they were and digestion also takes longer than it should. Perhaps gluten does play it's part, but it always seems to appear in fat laden foods ie, Cakes and pastries, and most nuts.

Yes Annie, there are plenty of unhealthy choices available, but as science has recently proved, some foods that were deemed 'unhealthy' are now being reassessed and in moderation, are found to be quite nourishing......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Hi OGF, I've never really been big on eating fat. I eat more fat now than I did before. I'm delighted that I am not lactose intolerant. For years I thought milk was the issue and I'd avoid cheese.

When this came to a head I would basically feel good first thing in the morning before I had anything to eat. So I'd try to put eating off for as long as possible. After eating it would be a lottery. Once I stopped eating gluten within two or three days I started to feel normal. Within a week I felt fabulous. I lost weight, my muscle tone improved and I stopped being bloated. My digestion improved, I used to regularly have IBS and food would go right through me. Now everything is normal. I was exhausted every day, after stopping gluten my energy came right back. It was amazing, suddenly I could exercise again, I could take the dog for a walk without feeling wiped out. In short I was really really sick before I gave up and then suddenly I had my life back.

It's not clear why some people are reacting to gluten, some say it's to do with the way they grow wheat these days. I haven't tried ancient grains, but many years ago I remember feeling better eating rye bread than wheat bread. I've been told that the wheat we eat now is so mutated from the original seed, that head has been modified to be much larger, that chemical fertilisers with antibiotics are involved. My problems came to a head after a bad reaction to antibiotics. Who knows what is really going on with our food.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top