Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:32 PM

Re: Changing boundaries

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My problem is usually when l am asked if l am a Miss, Ms or Mrs?
Being divorced, l am not sure what my title should be. Miss sounds like l am a spinster or that l am very young!
Ms, sounds like l burned my bra and l am not keen on men!
l prefer Mrs, even though l am no longer married.
Loathe that M/S thingy as it is neither here nor there

I was threatened with Contemp of Court when the judge declared I could now call myself M/S and asking him would my ex be then called M/Stir. Then wanting to know why not.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My problem is usually when l am asked if l am a Miss, Ms or Mrs?
Being divorced, l am not sure what my title should be. Miss sounds like l am a spinster or that l am very young!
Ms, sounds like l burned my bra and l am not keen on men!
l prefer Mrs, even though l am no longer married.
Miss, Ms, and Mrs are all short forms of Mistress - try using that next time someone asks. I once did and the reaction was hilarious!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Miss, Ms, and Mrs are all short forms of Mistress - try using that next time someone asks. I once did and the reaction was hilarious!
LOL .Same as being called Madame. I am always tempted to tell them I have yet to run a brothel .
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

29-08-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My nephews and nieces address me by my first name .
I think they should call me auntie.
When I knew my young nephews they did the same, and it always irritated me that they didn't precede my name by Auntie. Wholly my sister's fault for not instilling some respect and manners, I felt.

As I haven't had any contact with them for over 10 years now it doesn't matter...
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
One of the charming things about living in the American South is that older ladies, even when it might be appropriate to call them by their first names, are instead titled "Miss" in front of their names. For men, it's "Mister." It's the perfect mix of familiarity and respect.

When people don't know each other or there is reason to offer respect - age, position, etc. - we still refer to each other as "sir" or "ma'am
."

I've heard those being used on American TV programmes SM and I think it's lovely. Sounds SO respectful and quite charming.

Originally Posted by solo ->
LOL .Same as being called Madame. I am always tempted to tell them I have yet to run a brothel .
That made me chuckle solo

Thanks everyone, interesting to read all your comments and how some of us differ.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top