Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

11-02-2015, 06:40 PM

Recommend a program

Just wondering if I can recommend a program I have downloaded and tried out.
If so, I will put the name of it on, it will not suit every one as it is a FREE program, it is a note pad or jotter.
I have used it for notes, phone book, remembering pass words, birthdays. well anything.
There is no adverts and you can change font size, colours, size plus it hides it self to needed.
Did I say it was free, plus it has a video help file.
So if a mod will let me put the program name on, watch this space.
Reggie
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 06:51 PM

Re: Recommend a program

Ive got a note pad on my lappy and Ipad they both came with them already on .
I do keep notes for memory sake ,,helps me not to forget
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 08:23 PM

I find the internet these days is absolutely swamped with dodgy downloads, even the ones off long established sites. Loads will install some background program without you knowing it. FREE programs especially are to blame for this. Just be aware that, as in life, anything 'FREE' is something rare and usually has a price somewhere down the line.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Hello Reg yes you can name the programme.
We don't allow spamming/ advertising but member recommendations are fine.

I have a note pad installed on my PC as standard but forget to use it.
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

11-02-2015, 08:55 PM

I have been using this program for over a week with no problem so far.
I do find it better than the standard note pad that came with the machine.
If you do give it a try, to start the program from your desktop there is a little white square at the top of your screen and all you do is put your cursor over it and it pops up.
I would suggest you read the or look at the video that is on the help screen first.
Now the tricky bit, you can type in quicknote.de
or try this http://www.quicknote.de/
http://www.quicknote.de/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 08:59 PM

LAAAAA , that is a quick note or even longer if you have the breath
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

11-02-2015, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
LAAAAA , that is a quick note or even longer if you have the breath
Doe- a deer, a female deer
Ray- a drop of golden sun
Me- a name i call myself
Far- a long long way to run
Sew- a needle pulling thread
La- a note to follow so
Tea- a drink with jam and bread
That will bring us back to do oh oh oh
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I find the internet these days is absolutely swamped with dodgy downloads, even the ones off long established sites. Loads will install some background program without you knowing it. FREE programs especially are to blame for this. Just be aware that, as in life, anything 'FREE' is something rare and usually has a price somewhere down the line.
I agree Mark I used to think Cnet was trouble free for downloads but last time I used it I got stuck with a Malware toolbar which took ages to remove
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 12:44 PM

A full review of Quicknote on Softpedia. More than just a Notepad replacement when reading the detail:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/win...-74869.shtmlds

I thought I'd give it a try and installed Quicknote via the link given in ZX81's post. No PUPs were present. It looks to be a good Notepad replacement. It keeps text files in a single menu. Select the file you want to write/edit/read from it and the text appears in the larger part of the window. Files aren't in the .txt format though, so if you wanted to transfer writings to another computer, I think they would have to be copied/pasted into a .txt file first.

The 'right-click > Read aloud' option makes a good proof-reader for if you don't see your own typing mistakes. It reads some words wrongly though. For instance, it can't pronounce its own name. It calls iteslf 'Quickert' and pronounces keylogger as 'keylerjer' Windows own 'Narrator' makes the same mistakes so it looks like Quicknote has tailored Narrator for the purpose and made it easy to use from within the program.

The 'focusless input' is a bit strange. Write text in any program and it appears in Quicknote as well. Not sure when that would be needed but Quicknote has to be open for it to work. It doesn't work when the program is in sleep mode. I read in Quicknote's support page that one AV program detected Quicknote as being a trojan, maybe because this feature acts like a keylogger? I don't know if this would happen with any other AV program (didn't with mine) but if it does, the point has been explained by the developer (see the heading: Quicknote - a trojan?)

http://www.quicknote.de/help/quickfaqen.php#Sup

I've been using a program called 'Jarte' set to plain text mode as a Notepad replacement because it has a spell-checker included. That's the only thing missing in Quicknote. Quite good and interesting to try.

A reduced sized screenshot of this post.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-02-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A full review of Quicknote on Softpedia. More than just a Notepad replacement when reading the detail:
I thought I'd give it a try and installed Quicknote via the link given in ZX81's post. No PUPs were present. It looks to be a good Notepad replacement. It keeps text files in a single menu. Select the file you want to write/edit/read from it and the text appears in the larger part of the window. Files aren't in the .txt format though, so if you wanted to transfer writings to another computer, I think they would have to be copied/pasted into a .txt file first.

The 'right-click > Read aloud' option makes a good proof-reader for if you don't see your own typing mistakes. It reads some words wrongly though. For instance, it can't pronounce its own name. It calls iteslf 'Quickert' and pronounces keylogger as 'keylerjer' Windows own 'Narrator' makes the same mistakes so it looks like Quicknote has tailored Narrator for the purpose and made it easy to use from within the program.

The 'focusless input' is a bit strange. Write text in any program and it appears in Quicknote as well. Not sure when that would be needed but Quicknote has to be open for it to work. It doesn't work when the program is in sleep mode. I read in Quicknote's support page that one AV program detected Quicknote as being a trojan, maybe because this feature acts like a keylogger? I don't know if this would happen with any other AV program (didn't with mine) but if it does, the point has been explained by the developer (see the heading: Quicknote - a trojan?)

http://www.quicknote.de/help/quickfaqen.php#Sup

I've been using a program called 'Jarte' set to plain text mode as a Notepad replacement because it has a spell-checker included. That's the only thing missing in Quicknote. Quite good and interesting to try.

A reduced sized screenshot of this post.
Good heavens Mart I could be dead by the time I have read all that and do I really need it
I only read instructions when I can't work something out for myself.

I am a simple person with simple needs and will manage with my sticky notes but thank you for the suggestion chaps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top