Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Foraging

Got a loads of raspberries for free today growing wild - far away from any car fumes or pesticide-sprayed fields. Why do people walk past these gifts? Got my eye on tons of blackberries that will be ready in a few weeks. Thanks Mother Nature.

Do you forage for food?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Re: Foraging

I would if I could, not much opportunity here in the City ........
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I would if I could, not much opportunity here in the City ........
LOL - there may still be hope for you:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/i...-new-york-city
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 09:02 PM

I have loads of wild brambles that grow in my garden!! You are welcome to them but you you have a good bit to travel to do so I never bother with them. Also there are plenty growing up the braes from me at the edges of the farmers fields!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 09:05 PM

When I was a child used to help my grandmother gather elderberries growing by the railroad tracks to make jam!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Used to when we were kids (blackberries) - haven't done for years tho, think I'm put off by the pesticides and what not.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 09:51 PM

I used to love going blackberrying as a child - we had plenty of fields around then. Nowadays it's a built-up area and any odd bramble is usually polluted with traffic fumes ..... no matter how much I washed the berries, I would still feel uneasy about eating them.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Yes PP I forage too!! I take my young son, we have just been picking wild raspberrys in the field next to where we live, there is also a plum tree with lots of plums that need to ripen, so I will be having those too
The blackberrys are not out here yet. We also gather wimberrys in August (that's if there are any left from the sheep eating them!!) Do you have any wimberrys growing near you? I love whimberry pie!! but it doesn't half stain your hands when your picking it!!!

June x
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

16-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by june1958 ->
Yes PP I forage too!! I take my young son, we have just been picking wild raspberrys in the field next to where we live, there is also a plum tree with lots of plums that need to ripen, so I will be having those too
The blackberrys are not out here yet. We also gather wimberrys in August (that's if there are any left from the sheep eating them!!) Do you have any wimberrys growing near you? I love whimberry pie!! but it doesn't half stain your hands when your picking it!!!

June x
Just going to google wimberry
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

16-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Bilberries!!!

My grandma made a beautiful bilberry pie - it stained the pastry

I didn't know you could get them growing wild.

You live and learn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top