Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Runner Beans, (removing the tops )

I read on a plant site that the tops of runner bean plants should be removed when the beans reach the top of the canes.
I had never heard of this before and was worried about doing it in case I checked the growth of the plants.

This year I removed the tops from 4 bean plants. This resulted in flowers growing all the way up the plants and the bean crop has been prolific.

On those plants which were left to grow the flowers grew mostly at the top of the plants as did the beans and it was not such a good crop.

Next year I will remove all the tops.

Does anyone else do this?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2010, 02:07 AM

Re: Runner Beans, (removing the tops )

That's very interesting, an excellent tip. I've never grown anything but bush beans. I'd like to hear what others have to say.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks Meg, I'll tell my S-I-L that tip
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Our runner beans have just finished and we took them down yesterday. Ours grow in wigwams and we do take the tops out at about 8 feet, once they have gone up to the top. I think we have been lucky this year as we have had a really good crop from three wigwams. I think it is something to do with pollenation as this year we grew them close with the roses and other flowers. My sister-in-law always puts sunflowers in with hers and she does quite well with them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2010, 09:34 PM

This way is weird in growing runnerbeans but I have done it for the last two years and got good reslutes.

Plant like normal but with no supports, when plants grow to about a foot pinch out growing tips.

Hard on the back when picking but you get the beans a bit early and they keep on cropping.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
This way is weird in growing runnerbeans but I have done it for the last two years and got good reslutes.

Plant like normal but with no supports, when plants grow to about a foot pinch out growing tips.

Hard on the back when picking but you get the beans a bit early and they keep on cropping.
That different - I've not heard of runner beans being grown like that Galty. How do you keep the beans off the soil and stop them from getting spoilt and eaten by slugs and snails. (We have a lot of slugs and snails).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Our runner beans have just finished and we took them down yesterday. Ours grow in wigwams and we do take the tops out at about 8 feet, once they have gone up to the top. I think we have been lucky this year as we have had a really good crop from three wigwams. I think it is something to do with pollenation as this year we grew them close with the roses and other flowers. My sister-in-law always puts sunflowers in with hers and she does quite well with them.
Hi Rena I have a lavender bed near the beans which helps with pollination, I may try wigwams for a change next year or even a single long row up netting. .

This way is weird in growing runner beans but I have done it for the last two years and got good reslutes.

Galty that's interesting if a little strange, one would think with less surface area in which to grow there would be a lot less beans. If this works I see no reason why runner beans can't be grown on short canes like dwarf beans.I am only 5' 4''and had to use a step ladder to reach my beans this year hence the interest in pinching out the tip . I don't want them too short though, I have a problem with my knee and can't bend or kneel very well.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 12:09 PM

That different - I've not heard of runner beans being grown like that Galty. How do you keep the beans off the soil and stop them from getting spoilt and eaten by slugs and snails. (We have a lot of slugs and snails).

Basic its that when up prick out the leader another leader starts growing which you prick out as well after a couple of times a mass of leaves are formed which keep the beans off the ground.

Think the theory behind this is if a plant is made to struggle at first to reproduce it produces a better crop.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Basic its that when up prick out the leader another leader starts growing which you prick out as well after a couple of times a mass of leaves are formed which keep the beans off the ground.

Think the theory behind this is if a plant is made to struggle at first to reproduce it produces a better crop.
I might have to have a trial run with that next year Galty - thanks
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

20-09-2010, 04:04 PM

I might have to have a trial run with that next year Galty - thanks

If you do.

Put in about 6 seeds about 2 ft apart and 2ft each side.

Make sure you nip out the leader at about a 1ft of the ground and subsequent leaders

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top