Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:43 PM

Changing boundaries

Remember when we were growing up and friends parents were 'Mr and Mrs', neighbours/shop keepers/whoever were 'Mr and Mrs' (unless they were titled of course ).

I don't know if it was the same for you, but when I became a certain age (ie adult) it suddenly changed. It seemed a matter of course that those same people wished me to call them by their christian names.

I found it quite difficult initially to be on 'friendly' terms with those I almost thought of as 'authoritative' - it felt disrespectful.

It seems to be the norm now to call adults by their christian name. Do your children's partners etc or young people call you by your christian name?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Re: Changing boundaries

I don't think I have ever called anyone by their surname apart from when I was at school.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:53 PM

I was a bit taken aback when the Amazon delivery man called me Meg

In most instances, I don't mind, my DIL calls me Meg. I called my MIL Mother .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

It wouldn't surprise me, Meg, if Amazon have adopted the seemingly new policy of being "gender neutral". Perhaps 'Mr and Mrs' have been outlawed in case you happened to be offended.
The world has gone nuts.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:02 PM

A little tale from earlier today.
I was in our local convenience store. The lady ahead of me was short by three pence. I put a five pence on the counter.
"Give the change to Mac" she said. That's me. Mac.
I don't know how she knew my name. People gossip and I'm the guy with the big black and white dog I guess.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Isn't it funny, I couldn't have done that Meg. Feels odd calling someone 'Mother' who isn't.
I called me 3 sets of in-laws by their christian names.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Apart from friends I always referred politely to people as Mr or Mrs,

Now, my Bank Manager and Solicitor, and Accountant insist I use their Christian names., and refer to me by my Cristian Name too

We are all chums together., and I have had to get used to this familiarity.

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

28-08-2018, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
A little tale from earlier today.
I was in our local convenience store. The lady ahead of me was short by three pence. I put a five pence on the counter.
"Give the change to Mac" she said. That's me. Mac.
I don't know how she knew my name. People gossip and I'm the guy with the big black and white dog I guess.
Owner of dogs are always remembered by their dogs aren't they?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Isn't it funny, I couldn't have done that Meg. Feels odd calling someone 'Mother' who isn't.
I called me 3 sets of in-laws by their christian names.
Pesta I never knew my mother she died when I was a baby and I got on well with my MIL who considered me to be one of her daughters so calling her Mother seemed appropriate
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:11 PM

I remember as an older child calling all adults who were friends parents Mr & Mrs.
Adult cousins & second cousins by their Christian names, uncles or aunts by their Christian names with uncle or aunt in front.
My Daughter now 47 still calls my brother & Sis-in-Law uncle & aunt & my Brother-in-Law uncle, I have no idea why she still calls them that still, but his ex wife she calls Lyn.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top