Join for free
Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Re: Squirrels are great.

Good one Mr Fraggle. He has a brown head and ears. He's nice and chubby too.....

I saw my first flying squirrel this morning. He just flew from one tree to another one so easy. I was shocked.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 09:43 PM

I never understand why people hate greys they were introduced by HUMANS and accidentally brought a disease that killed reds. Neither the disease or the introduction of them was their fault. Even if every grey died here in surrey we no longer have the habitat for reds because HUMANS cut down the trees.
HUMANS not greys have caused the demise of reds.

Hate humans not greys who are gorgeous fluffy little creatures that bring a lot of joy and fun to people when they visit their gardens.

We have three come here one has no tail, think a cat got it, but he still manages to whiz through the oak tree and run along the shed roofs only time he has a wobble in along the top of the ship lap fence I think his balance is a bit off due to the missing tail.

As for eating them, well yes they can be eaten but I always think you'd have to be pretty hungry as they are rather small, and I think I'd have to be actually starving as a veggie they don't look very appetizing to me.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I never understand why people hate greys they were introduced by HUMANS and accidentally brought a disease that killed reds. Neither the disease or the introduction of them was their fault. Even if every grey died here in surrey we no longer have the habitat for reds because HUMANS cut down the trees.
HUMANS not greys have caused the demise of reds.

Hate humans not greys who are gorgeous fluffy little creatures that bring a lot of joy and fun to people when they visit their gardens.

We have three come here one has no tail, think a cat got it, but he still manages to whiz through the oak tree and run along the shed roofs only time he has a wobble in along the top of the ship lap fence I think his balance is a bit off due to the missing tail.

As for eating them, well yes they can be eaten but I always think you'd have to be pretty hungry as they are rather small, and I think I'd have to be actually starving as a veggie they don't look very appetizing to me.
Most of us squirrel lovers around here just love the gray squirrel. Ours are mostly back, but we do have some gray, the gray seems to always be fatter than the black.......I love our squirrels. In our city, there is a fine for feeding squirrels, but I don't let that stop me. I just have to do it, I can't let them be hungry. I guess we are overrun with them, but the city is always putting a fine on something or other, but they don't usually enforce it.

My squirrels know me. I just have to walk out my back door, and they come running.......so cute.

If humans would be honest, they are always the ones to blame for just about everything. But they always have to blame everyone else, even God.

I have never seen a red squirrel I don't think.

Edited:
I just googled it and I guess we do have them in Ontario, but they look brown to me in the picture.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 03:49 AM

I thought the greys were simply more aggressive than the reds and better at foraging etc. They certainly look as though they can look after themselves when our dog is chasing them out of the garden. Every year they try to eat any bulbs I plant. I have found a pretty good way to keep them out of the flowerpots (pierced foil plates held down with bricks).

I've seen red squirrels in parts of the UK and in Europe. Have never yet seen any black squirrels here. Red squirrels are beautiful.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Good one Mr Fraggle. He has a brown head and ears. He's nice and chubby too.....

I saw my first flying squirrel this morning. He just flew from one tree to another one so easy. I was shocked.
Flying squirrels? I can just about cope with flying reindeer - but flying squirrels? I never knew they could do that!
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Flying squirrels? I can just about cope with flying reindeer - but flying squirrels? I never knew they could do that!
Do you not have wildlife TV programs where you are ST?
Here you go.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Wow - that is amazing - what lovely and versatile little creatures!

Thank you Mr Fraggle. I am quite sure David Attenborough will have done a programme (or two) about them - but I do not have a TV.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Wow - that is amazing - what lovely and versatile little creatures!

Thank you MrFraggle. I am quite sure David Attenborough will have done a programme (or two) about them - but I do not have a TV.
May I be so bold as to ask why not or is it an eyesight thing?
MrFraggle
United Kingdom

08-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Finally got the camera set up on a tripod.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

08-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
May I be so bold as to ask why not or is it an eyesight thing?
No - it is a rubbish lot of programmes for an extortionate licence fee thing!

Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top