Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Re: Licence plates for cyclists?

I think cyclists should definitely have some form of ID showing on their bike.

I do find large groups of them a pain, even smaller groups can be quite arrogant and obstructive.

But let me also put forward another point of view.

Supposing the car driver was at fault this time, and not the cyclist.
Pretend the cyclist was knocked off his bike and was unconscious.
Then some sort of number plate or ID marked clearly on the bike, would certainly help the Police or Ambulance identify him/her much quicker, and so be able to let his family know.

I think it should be compulsory.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
In your opinion...

Yes, amazingly that is the purpose of a forum... to express one's opinion. You'll eventually get the hang of it.

Originally Posted by fender ->
Exactly JB,

You just have to love the comments though from the Aussie master race, who seem to enjoy taking the pee out of the UK at any opportunity, when they don't live here and know 'eff all.
Sad that you delicate little flowers are so insecure that you see things that way but we really don't care.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:52 PM

That is why cyclists should confine themselves to the footpath, and, pedestrians should be more understanding.

Mups.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
That is why cyclists should confine themselves to the footpath, and, pedestrians should be more understanding.

Mups.

Was that addressed to me, Spitty?

If so, I shall assume it is late and you are tired, else I am sure you'd never have said anything so daft.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think cyclists should definitely have some form of ID showing on their bike.

I do find large groups of them a pain, even smaller groups can be quite arrogant and obstructive.

But let me also put forward another point of view.

Supposing the car driver was at fault this time, and not the cyclist.
Pretend the cyclist was knocked off his bike and was unconscious.
Then some sort of number plate or ID marked clearly on the bike, would certainly help the Police or Ambulance identify him/her much quicker, and so be able to let his family know.

I think it should be compulsory.
I agree but if the government or local councils were persuaded to introduce ID plates for cyclists, I think it would have to be at little or no cost to cyclists so as not to discourage bike riding. Put it down as a price to pay for keeping people out of their cars.

In fact, I rather think the number of cars on the roads might be just as much the problem as bunches of cyclists.

Going by Internet search results, there are 37.9 million licensed motor vehicles in the UK (an estimated 1.32 billion cars, buses and lorries throughout the World). They aren't all on the roads at the same time of course but a high number obviously are.

According to reports/estimates, those numbers are increasing all the time. We can't keep on doing this can we? Something will have to give or we're going to run out of road space, especially in a comparatively small bit of land like the UK.

For this reason, I'd say cyclists ought to be encouraged to the highest degree, rather than wanting to kill them, hang them up by their naughty bits or sweep them off the road. It could be argued that drivers capable of being this angry at cyclists are just as much a danger on the roads as they perceive cyclists to be.

I don't agree with cyclists breaking laws (I never do it) but with so many cars clogging up the road systems in our towns and cities, either all the time or at certain times of day, I can see why some might be tempted to ignore rules and take shortcuts.

Riding across red lights? Well motorists often do that too. How many times do we see just one more car squeezing across an amber and then red light? Drivers judging that the traffic from the green side won't be on the move yet.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Do you really want to see cyclists dead even if it is their own fault? I don't know what proportion of the injuries and deaths listed in the article below were the cyclists own fault but the figures might cheer you up:

https://fullfact.org/health/cyclist-deaths/
Let's put it this way.

If the cyclist is one of the arrogant self-entitled type, then it wouldn't particularly bother me.

The same applies to arrogant self-entitled motorists, if that makes you feel better.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Let's put it this way.

If the cyclist is one of the arrogant self-entitled type, then it wouldn't particularly bother me.

The same applies to arrogant self-entitled motorists, if that makes you feel better.
No it doesn't make me feel better. I don't want to see anyone get killed on the roads for whatever reason.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:44 PM

I agree but if the government or local councils were persuaded to introduce ID plates for cyclists, I think it would have to be at little or no cost to cyclists so as not to discourage bike riding. Put it down as a price to pay for keeping people out of their cars.
So in other words,
"I ride a bike instead of driving a car in order to reduce the number of cars on the road. Because I am so public spirited I should be allowed to ride a bike without carrying any ID so that when I cause an accident I cannot be identified."

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-04-2019, 11:47 PM

No it doesn't make me feel better. I don't want to see anyone get killed on the roads for whatever reason.
So if an arrogant cyclist causes someone else to die, then scarpers and without any ID cannot be identified, that's acceptable then?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-04-2019, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So in other words,
"I ride a bike instead of driving a car in order to reduce the number of cars on the road. Because I am so public spirited I should be allowed to ride a bike without carrying any ID so that when I cause an accident I cannot be identified."

See the 'I agree' bit at the beginning of my reply to Mups post.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top