Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 11:13 AM

'Costs soar at hotel of mum and dad'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49508854

About a quarter of young adults in the UK aged 20-34 live at home, a figure which, according to the Office for National Statistics, has been growing steadily for 15 years.
Many returning adult children enjoy home comforts such as cooked meals, a full fridge and cleaning, as well as their bills being covered by the "hotel of mum and dad", according to a survey by price comparison website MoneySuperMarket.

The average cost to the hoteliers - mum and dad - has gone up sharply, meaning parents are sacrificing luxuries and holidays, the survey found. MoneySuperMarket found that last year, adult offspring were returning for an average of 9.7 months, while parents were incurring costs of around £895. This year, the "kidults" were staying longer - just over 10 months - and costing their parents £1,640 as the householders shouldered the water, heating and electricity bills, as well as paying for takeaway meals, toiletries and food.

The price comparison site surveyed 500 adults who had moved back into their parents' home and 500 parents who had adult children back living with them.

• The survey found that 18% of adult children said they were moving back home because of debt, compared with 8% last year.
  • Moreover, 12% said it was because they had lost their job, compared with 7% last year.
  • This year, 27% said it was because they couldn't afford their rent, compared with 25% last year.

On top of the day-to-day spending, parents reported forking out £1,886 on redecorating, buying new furniture and upgrading their wi-fi to accommodate returning offspring.
Just when you thought they'd gone forever .....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Re: 'Costs soar at hotel of mum and dad'

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49508854

Just when you thought they'd gone forever .....
Another myth !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:26 PM

I have certainly got one realises which side his bread is buttered, but I am lucky he does try to pay his way, He always makes sure he pays up as soon as his wages arrive in his account so I cannot fault him there. He also buys extra food as he tends to eat us out of house and home when he is doing his body building.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:32 PM

Why can't they stand on their own two feet like we had to after leaving home
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Why can't they stand on their own two feet like we had to after leaving home
Can't afford a home alone, mine is working fulltime and studying he knows he would find that harder if he shared a flat, flat mates wouldn't be tippy toeing around to let him sleep between his shifts.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Doesn't the council run a part ownership scheme between the council and the buyer. from what I understand the buyer pays back the "loan" to the council Until the house "loan" has been paid off
I don't understand why it is so hard, we had a 17% interest not a miserly 4.0 % or whatever mortgage interest it is now.

Sorry Julie his circumstances might be different but most are too lazy to save.

Kids today want their weekends instead of working- they want everything for a home to start with- they want their holidays abroad -they want a new car to impress instead of public transport or walking- they want mobile phones costing a fortune each month. They want to go out for meals- have kids before a home -they want to go out for entertainment and so it goes on. They want an expensive 3/4 bed house instead od a 2 bed terrace that needs work

What they don't want to do is knuckle down and graft-save and aim for a target like a house of their own.

I can base this on our own personal experience to save

I was earning about £15 a week and in 18 months between us we save £1500 for a deposit on a house.

not only that but we paid for our wedding and an engagement meal for both families in a restaurant which we really could not afford.

i had lost so much weight working in 2/3 jobs a week you would not believe. A three figure hour working week was the norm.

We had deckchairs to sit on in our first 2 bed one room terrace house.Our table was a coffee table I made at night school carpentry classes -a bed -cooker and fridge. oh and a very old B/W TV. that was it, but it was ours and happy.

That is just a quick idea of it what we did back then to save for a better house

This is really grafting kids today just won't do and make any excuse to get out of it.

why did i do it and also raise two sons? to be able to retire with a property like this and not have too many money worries.

they could all have the same if they damn well worked hard for it all their lives
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:26 PM

They want it all on a plate now .
They are saying well things were cheaper in your day, not true ,wages were lower ,sometimes had to make a £ ,do the work of two. Had to cut the cloth according to the material .
Didn"t earn as much in them days.
Snowflakes eh !!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Doesn't the council run a part ownership scheme between the council and the buyer. from what I understand the buyer pays back the "loan" to the council Until the house "loan" has been paid off
I don't understand why it is so hard, we had a 17% interest not a miserly 4.0 % or whatever mortgage interest it is now.

Sorry Julie his circumstances might be different but most are too lazy to save.

Kids today want their weekends instead of working- they want everything for a home to start with- they want their holidays abroad -they want a new car to impress instead of public transport or walking- they want mobile phones costing a fortune each month. They want to go out for meals- have kids before a home -they want to go out for entertainment and so it goes on. They want an expensive 3/4 bed house instead od a 2 bed terrace that needs work

What they don't want to do is knuckle down and graft-save and aim for a target like a house of their own.

I can base this on our own personal experience to save

I was earning about £15 a week and in 18 months between us we save £1500 for a deposit on a house.

not only that but we paid for our wedding and an engagement meal for both families in a restaurant which we really could not afford.

i had lost so much weight working in 2/3 jobs a week you would not believe. A three figure hour working week was the norm.

We had deckchairs to sit on in our first 2 bed one room terrace house.Our table was a coffee table I made at night school carpentry classes -a bed -cooker and fridge. oh and a very old B/W TV. that was it, but it was ours and happy.

That is just a quick idea of it what we did back then to save for a better house

This is really grafting kids today just won't do and make any excuse to get out of it.

why did i do it and also raise two sons? to be able to retire with a property like this and not have too many money worries.

they could all have the same if they damn well worked hard for it all their lives

Wow! is that one house Realspeed?
Good on yer!

Regards Donkeyman!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 07:53 PM

I calculate that saving at £19.23 a week ..... presumably your wife-to-be was earning a similar wage or less .....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

30-08-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I calculate that saving at £19.23 a week ..... presumably your wife-to-be was earning a similar wage or less .....
That was my main job. I also helped a car mechanic friend in the evening .yes sue,s earnings added to the pot 3 jobs between us. For me long hours often finishing after midnight to get a car ready. Anything to earn a bit more cash worked Saturdays as overtime and his garage Sundays with my mate. Which is why I said grafting to get started in buying our first house. I actually went down to near!y 6 stone so had to ease up a bit,by then we had saved enough for a deposit stubborn determination to achieve in whatever I decide on has won the day

Even 30 years ago when I took EVR from BT and bought a boarding kennels and cattery in the west midlands, an area we didn't know, it was stubborn determination that made it pay in the end. Licenced for 115 dogs and 42 cats

To give some idea I did extensive repairs as it was so run down but all we could afford. number of clients on the books was 350 and one hell of a job to build the business up over 25 years. We sold 5 years ago and with it went 5,500 clients on the books who had booked pets in over the previous few years.

Pig headedness -stubborn - don't give in - yes work wise that is me. so don't tell me we don't know what hard work is

upgraded this is one or the kennel blocks I did. old bars removed- built half brick walls between kennels -new fronts +sides custom made mesh- laid floor tiles- sorted out lighting- power to each kennel for heated dog beds etc etc- seperate CCTV in each block so anyone in the kennels
kitchen could see what was happening. Also alarmed the kennels and cattery and provided security light on sensors where needed

same with the cattery

plus doing the isolation block and the grooming room among others

it was so bad originally that the electricity cable covering had perished so much the the only thing that kept the bare wires apart was because they had not been touched

God I could write a book on that place alone
From the main CCTV to having new cesspit pipes laid

new from the outside of the cattery to keep entrance dry

another for the kennel cesspit run off. no photos but from one end to other in that field

We also rescued a gipsy stallion that had broken loose so put it in out top fied for safety. The gipsy to cut a long story short colleted his horse and said if there was any trouble just go to their permanent camp a mile or so away and they with deal with it. So we never were worried about any trouble from them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top