Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Lhc

The Large Hadron Collider is about to start up again after a 2 year break. There are exciting times ahead. http://theconversation.com/what-will...collider-38664
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 08:13 PM

Re: Lhc

Sorry Alan, I suddenly got all excited thinking the title said LBC, my favourite radio station I'll go away and leave you to it
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Oh gawd! that means I have to chain myself to something solid again, in case we all disappear down a black hole!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 08:42 PM

I'm quite interested in that, going to be watching the 'Prof' shortly as stargazing live is back on, lots of planets visible in the night sky at the moment too.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 09:32 PM

God spare us all, so the huge white Elephant is up and running again giving it another lease of life and cushy jobs for all those who are employed there, good news for them and I'm so happy for the lot of 'em.
Now they are looking for “Z particles” and “Particles of dark matter” and even more bloody Higgs Bosons!, what did they do with the one they found?
I’m quite content, I found my own dark matter many years ago and it didn’t need a 10 billion pound machine to find it, Arthur Guinness got there before them in 1759, cheers!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:04 PM

Jem, have you ever stopped and considered what life would be like without all the scientific and technological advances made over the last 500 years ? Would you really like to be living in a cave having to hunt and gather berries to survive ?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
God spare us all, so the huge white Elephant is up and running again giving it another lease of life and cushy jobs for all those who are employed there, good news for them and I'm so happy for the lot of 'em.
Now they are looking for “Z particles” and “Particles of dark matter” and even more bloody Higgs Bosons!, what did they do with the one they found?
I’m quite content, I found my own dark matter many years ago and it didn’t need a 10 billion pound machine to find it, Arthur Guinness got there before them in 1759, cheers!
Hi Jem, I know what you're saying here, do we really need to know about the microscopic world of atoms and protons and Higgs Boson (Who ever he is ) I used to be in favour of science and such like but as it's so blindingly obvious the world is heading for a massive population explosion and science won't be able to stop it I don't see the point now

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Jem, have you ever stopped and considered what life would be like without all the scientific and technological advances made over the last 500 years ? Would you really like to be living in a cave having to hunt and gather berries to survive ?
To tell the truth Alan I do sometimes think how nice it would be if I could wake up, go out (without having to dress much) nab a goat or whatever, and a few berries for dessert, come home and sleep. No traffic, no phones, no imbeciles telling me what to do, yes I think I would quite like it
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 10:52 PM

Losos I'm sure you can go on holidays where you can do that in some remote place for a few weeks living in a yurt or similar.
Morocco is good for goats, they even climb trees there (the goats) so you might have to be able to climb the tree to nab one.

BTW Stargazing starts next week, I though it was this week.
I love science and finding out about the origin of things and what we and the universe itself is about.
We know that the earth will ultimately cease to exist in the distant future along with most of our solar system, most likely we as a species will have vanished long before then, but it's possible that knowledge may provide some answers to help us to survive as long as possible.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2015, 10:36 AM

I believe the Hadron Collider to be an extremely dangerous machine ....they dont know what they are tinkering with..just my opinion though
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Don't think "The Tudors" lived in Caves Alan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top