Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2015, 11:45 PM

Re: AI...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...mation/400364/

The Age of the Robot Worker Will Be Worse for Men
The jobs that are least vulnerable to automation tend to be held by women.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Funny thread

Would a robot know that it was a robot?
In the series HUMANS they became self aware and conscious of their synth status and how the humans were treating them. So probably not unless they were coded in such a way.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2015, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
In the series HUMANS they became self aware and conscious of their synth status and how the humans were treating them. So probably not unless they were coded in such a way.
And that's my point really. A robot only knows that which it's creator has allowed it to know, plus that which it's creator has allowed it to learn by it's programmed learning mechanisms. Those things aside, a robot has no idea who it is, where it came from, why it has been created, what it is supposed to do and so on. It knows only that which it has been programmed with.

So let me ask you these questions?

1. Who are you?
2. Where did human kind come from?
3. Why are we here?
4. What are we supposed to do?

Like I said . . . funny thread.

Temet Nosce
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 03:20 PM

Well, any robot that becomes 'aware' might start wondering what it is supposed to be doing but I doubt whether it will have time for all that as it will already be doing lots of jobs for sod all pay. I can see a lot of unrest with regard to this and who knows maybe a robot union will be created so robots can fight for equal rights, cos they sure as hell are going to be exploited otherwise.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 03:29 PM

Our species will eventually die out as indeed every other species will, but it will be insufficient food and water that will kill us all off and if world populations increase at the current rate then the end is certainly nigh !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Our species will eventually die out as indeed every other species will, but it will be insufficient food and water that will kill us all off and if world populations increase at the current rate then the end is certainly nigh !
Too much water will be a BIG problem sooner than many realise if we carry on pumping crap into the atmosphere.

With a 2°C increase, “sea level rise of several meters could be expected,” they say. “Increased climate extremes, already apparent at 0.8°C warming, would be more severe.
That rise in sea level will cause who knows what damage to coastal cities.

Exciting times ahead.

Mind you if you live on a hill your house price will probably sky rocket .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Perhaps I should have said clean and safe drinking water
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Our species will eventually die out . . . it will be insufficient food and water that will kill us all off
I doubt this. All that will happen is our food will change from natural wholesome foods produced by Nature, to laboratory / genetically modified foods produced by corrupt conglomerates. This change is already underway imo. The circumstances to remove good natural food from our diets will be engineered by those world powers and conglomerates.

Originally Posted by malcolm
I should have said clean and safe drinking water
Virtually any water source can be made potable and safe to drink. This includes swamp water, river water, water collected from your roof guttering, puddles in the street and so on.

If you don't currently possess a device capable of making potable water from such sources and are instead putting all your dependency on the water supply never being disrupted, then . . . . more fool you !

Just about every global disaster, whether earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornados, whatever, results in the same predictable pattern of events. Normal utility services are disrupted (water, electric, gas). People, mostly totally unprepared Sheeple, quickly suffer from lack of clean water and within a few days dysentery and other diseases quickly develop and spread. Food sources quickly get used up as looting and pillaging ensue.

The thing is, most of us, at a pinch could set up a fire and barbeque rig and cook meals, though I would hazard a guess that most Sheeple would NOT have a decent supply of long term foods and would struggle after a week.

Water is our most important life sustaining requirement and yet Sheeple are so badly conditioned to be dependent on the state that they don't stop for a second to think that they perhaps should have their own ability to create potable water. Go figure!

I will post the following links for anyone interested in being prepared and securing their future in the event of national disaster. Most will ignore but maybe just one person may take action to equip themselves, if so, it's worthwhile:

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/4000-bottle

Now watch this video of the CEO taking a tank of muddy river water and turning it into clean drinkable water with the brilliant Lifesaver bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhnKB6rsV2o

Some price numbers to consider:

Lifesaver 4000 bottle - £120 ish

It can sit on a shelf untouched for approx. 5 years, then when activated will last 3 years. I contacted the company to confirm this.

This means an investment of £120 will buy you a device to provide water security for up to 8 years. That's just £15 per year for this security !!! A total no brainer !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2015, 07:25 AM

there are those who look at this beautiful planet and see the efforts some are making to preserve it - their lifesaver bottle is always "half full" - I fear realist yours is always "half empty!!

I assume you will be eventually joining all those madheads in the mountain regions of the USA with their automatic weapons and bunkers beneath the ground? - goodbye and have fun!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

13-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
there are those who look at this beautiful planet and see the efforts some are making to preserve it - their lifesaver bottle is always "half full" - I fear realist yours is always "half empty!!
A realist doesn't quantify life in quaint proverbs and sound bites spoon-fed to them by others. A glass is always full of something be that a liquid, or air or a combination of both. To look at a glass half-full of water and argue that someone is deemed positive if they say it is half-full or a pessimist if they deem it half-empty is frankly puerile. It's an indicator that such a person is unable to face life on Nature's terms and has placed over-reliance on the State or on others.
Man needs both the water and the air in the glass. Neither has more value than the other.

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I assume you will be eventually joining all those madheads in the mountain regions of the USA with their automatic weapons and bunkers beneath the ground? - goodbye and have fun!
No you assume wrong. I have no weapons of that nature. In time of crisis I will not be one of the "Brass hoard" who failed to use their noggin and see what was coming and thus find themselves hopelessly unprepared for even the most basic of life's needs. Neither am I a "prepper" as such nor do I have a bunker.

What I am, is awake, alert, forward thinking and I have long since crossed the important line that separates those who theorise about what they might do in a crisis and those who actually take action in advance to prepare themselves for it.

If you want to believe that in time of crisis "someone else" will always be out there ready to save you at a moments notice then good luck to you, you will certainly need it.
For myself, if you shut off the electric, gas and water supply today, I have the peace of mind to know that I can survive, and survive reasonably comfortably for at least 6 months without any input or help from anywhere else.

Each to their own of course.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top