Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Diesel From Air?

Could diesel made from air help tackle climate change?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34064072

Originally Posted by BBC News
Carbon Engineering has just built a pilot plant to suck one to two tonnes of carbon dioxide from the air daily, turning it into 500 litres of diesel.
Marvelous way to reduce atmospheric pollution (one that seems to be catching on) and that is to make 'stuff' out of AIR! Apparently it is feasible and economically viable to make diesel fuel from extracting CO2 (the main culprit of global warming) and then making it in to various useful chemicals. You don't really gain as such from a pollution aspect because you will put the CO2 back in to the atmosphere when the chemicals are reused (such as the diesel) but you are not adding to it either (I have read though that it is possible to create massive CO2 extraction plants that COULD reduce the overall amount of CO2).

This science isn't exactly new and I wouldn't be surprised if such technology hasn't been quashed by the fossil fuel conglomerates in the past (one for Realist ).
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Re: Diesel From Air?

Interesting stuff Mark.We MUST explore every avenue to combat greenhouse gases.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 12:20 PM

It’s a great idea Mark, but I don’t think it will ever get going.
I remember reading in the Readers Digest back in the early 1960’s about an inventor who could produce fuel from sea water for a couple of cents a gallon, he even demonstrated it for the US Navy, it never came on the market and the product and the inventor was never heard of again. Look at the electrical batteries scandal, batteries that keep a laptop top going for a couple of hours then eventually conk out and you have to buy a new one at an enormous price, the battery business must be worth billions every year and there have been no changes in recent years, something stinks there.
There has to be better ways of turning wheels for transport than filling metal tanks up with expensive air polluting liquid, and we all know there is but it’s in the interests of greedy power hungry multinationals to keep it the old way, greed has always prevented progress on making the world a healthier and safer place, and it always will in my opinion.
I’d love to hear Realists opinions too.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 12:53 PM

Makes me think when they mention 1 to 2 tons of CO2 from the air daily how much air that would be? Well I found this on Yahoo ...

How much Volume is a TON(us) of air on a standered day at sea level?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4162027AAZa0fT

Originally Posted by Yahoo
From the first reference, the density of sea level air is about 1.2 kg/cubic meter. From the second reference, a US ton is about 907kg, so a ton of air is

907kg / (1.2kg/cubic meter) or about 756 cubic meters, or a cube just over 9 meters on a side.
Then you have the CO2 content of the air ...

The concentration of CO2 in the air reached 400 parts per million in 2012-2013 - the highest since scientific measurements began.
So to extract 1-2 tons of CO2 would mean the plant would process about a sky full of air a day. I can see why a much bigger plant (s) would have quite an impact on the CO2 levels and quite quickly too I would have thought.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Would it be sucking in just Co2, or large volumes of air and extracting the Co2?
What would they do with the non Co2 air, and what would be done with it?
I expect one of the best places to collect Co2 would be Marylebone road in London.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

01-09-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Would it be sucking in just Co2, or large volumes of air and extracting the Co2?
What would they do with the non Co2 air, and what would be done with it?
I expect one of the best places to collect Co2 would be Marylebone road in London.
They process lots of air and extract the CO2. The rest of the stuff is just air minus the CO2 so goes back in circulation.

You are right in a way about Marylebone as the concentration of CO2 is much higher in certain areas ...

It is certainly easier to remove CO2 from the exhaust of fossil fuel-burning plants than capture it from the air, because exhaust streams from gas and coal plants contain 3% and 15% CO2 respectively.
500 litres is quite a lot of diesel to create in one day.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Man made CO2 has never been responsible for global warming, you are all being sucked into global rip off. Try and persevere with this hour long presentation by the brilliant Johnny Ball and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZoZ_GwaR74&sns=em
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2015, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Man made CO2 has never been responsible for global warming, you are all being sucked into global rip off. Try and persevere with this hour long presentation by the brilliant Johnny Ball and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZoZ_GwaR74&sns=em
Isn't there a summary like: global warming was caused by ...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 07:58 AM

Alas Mark, I believe (as do many esteemed scientists) that global warming comes from the natural cycle of the weather as it has done since the beginning of time. Pollution is another matter entirely and should be kept to minimum wherever possible. CO2 is naturally occurring and not a pollutant, and even if it were, mans production of it is small by comparison to the output created by natural phenomena. The world will carry on without our help, we are merely passengers...
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

28-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Alas Mark, I believe (as do many esteemed scientists) that global warming comes from the natural cycle of the weather as it has done since the beginning of time. Pollution is another matter entirely and should be kept to minimum wherever possible. CO2 is naturally occurring and not a pollutant, and even if it were, mans production of it is small by comparison to the output created by natural phenomena. The world will carry on without our help, we are merely passengers...
Well, the 'esteemed scientist's' opinions that I have taken the time to read are in variance to your opinion. There are many 'so called scientists' that are not scientists at all and have a hidden agenda part of which is hiding the truth (or distorting it). Global warming has been accepted as being man-made to all intents and purposes now but for years it paid many to keep a lid on the findings. Has this been done before? Just think of smoking and how loads of 'scientists' claimed smoking wasn't harmful. Procrastinating kept the high sales of fags going for around 50 years before the 'truth' finally hit the headlines. Apparently we don't have 50 years with global warming. In 50 years time who knows what we could be facing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top