Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Re: Unsolved Mysteries

That was a good vid Solo ...I like his way of thinking,I find him very interesting.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 01:30 AM

Von Daniken was a clever cookie who made squillions out of the gullibility of others.
Before "Chariots" he had acquired a healthy criminal record for theft, fraud and embezzlement and was diagnosed by a court-appointed psychiatrist as a "pathological liar".

His books are riddled with stuff like "are we really expected to believe that..."
"surely it is probable that ..."
"could it have occurred by ..."
immediately followed by complete nonsense.

He posits that our ancient ancestors were utter morons - which evidence denies.
Even 'hard evidence' like 'ancient' pottery showing spacecraft were proven to be FAKES.

All good fun - but certainly not science.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:23 AM

Where do single socks go is one of the great unsolved mysteries

Whenever I look after the three little ones and need some clean socks for them I can never find a matching pair.
My DIL puts all the socks in a little wicker basket, they all appear to be odd ones.

Will a planet be discoverer one day populated by single socks .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 11:08 AM

http://h2g2.com/entry/A76222

THE SOCK MONSTER
Created May 24, 1999 | Updated Jan 28, 2002

Sock Monsters live in various places, under the beds of unsuspecting humans, in their laundry baskets, in their ‘smalls’ drawer, but most commonly in washing machines.

They are the blight of sock-wearing humans’ lives.

Unsurprisingly, the Sock Monster’s diet is predominantly socks but, to the despair of sock-wearing humans, they never eat a whole pair of socks - only one is consumed leaving the remaining sock for the humans to add to their Odd Sock Collection.

Occasionally the sock is not consumed by the Sock Monster, merely gnawed at and left in shreds thus rendering the pair useless.

It has been suggested that an Odd Sock Convention be organised where people can take along their collections with a view to swapping socks to make useful pairs, displaying socks with interesting shapes gnawed into them and generally swapping stories about their own personal Sock Monster. However, doubts about the hygiene aspect and objections from several National Verruca Foundations have so far halted any plans for such a convention.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Haha at Tiffany
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:20 PM

There is one earthly mystery that always puzzles me. When I go to plug in something into any USB port it is always the wrong connecting side, usually you cannot see the port so you go by feel and there are only two ways, a right way and a wrong way, 9 times out of ten it's the wrong way, the odd time I get it right I feel I could jump for joy, it's such a thrill when it happens, makes my day.
I must try to get out more often.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Von Daniken was a clever cookie who made squillions out of the gullibility of others.
Before "Chariots" he had acquired a healthy criminal record for theft, fraud and embezzlement and was diagnosed by a court-appointed psychiatrist as a "pathological liar".

His books are riddled with stuff like "are we really expected to believe that..."
"surely it is probable that ..."
"could it have occurred by ..."
immediately followed by complete nonsense.

He posits that our ancient ancestors were utter morons - which evidence denies.
Even 'hard evidence' like 'ancient' pottery showing spacecraft were proven to be FAKES.

All good fun - but certainly not science.
Pumicestone do you have any links to what youre saying about Von Daniken?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Where do single socks go is one of the great unsolved mysteries

Whenever I look after the three little ones and need some clean socks for them I can never find a matching pair.
My DIL puts all the socks in a little wicker basket, they all appear to be odd ones.

Will a planet be discoverer one day populated by single socks .
Perhaps this accounts for the recent trend of wearing non-matching socks.

Thankfully, we don't seem to have Sock Monsters in our house - just Borrowers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
http://h2g2.com/entry/A76222

THE SOCK MONSTER
Created May 24, 1999 | Updated Jan 28, 2002

Sock Monsters live in various places, under the beds of unsuspecting humans, in their laundry baskets, in their ‘smalls’ drawer, but most commonly in washing machines.

They are the blight of sock-wearing humans’ lives.

Unsurprisingly, the Sock Monster’s diet is predominantly socks but, to the despair of sock-wearing humans, they never eat a whole pair of socks - only one is consumed leaving the remaining sock for the humans to add to their Odd Sock Collection.

Occasionally the sock is not consumed by the Sock Monster, merely gnawed at and left in shreds thus rendering the pair useless.

It has been suggested that an Odd Sock Convention be organised where people can take along their collections with a view to swapping socks to make useful pairs, displaying socks with interesting shapes gnawed into them and generally swapping stories about their own personal Sock Monster. However, doubts about the hygiene aspect and objections from several National Verruca Foundations have so far halted any plans for such a convention.

Love it, Tiffany.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Pumicestone do you have any links to what youre saying about Von Daniken?
http://pages.vassar.edu/realarchaeol...of-the-gods-2/

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Erich_von_D%C3%A4niken
" .... von Däniken was convicted for embezzlement and tax evasion shortly after the publication of Chariots.
He also had to admit that he had forged some of his "ancient" artifacts allegedly depicting alien visitors"

http://skepdic.com/vondanik.html

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/von_da...ooked_science/

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/erich-von-daumlniken.html

Ten minutes on Google will reveal hundreds, thousands, of sites debunking Von Daniken and his rubbish, money-making theories.
Most from genuine, scientific, academic, authoritative sources.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top