Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 12:58 PM

Re: Parents cryonically freeze three year old child who dies of cancer

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
pets - that always gets the british up in arms - is there any evidence of frozen pets brought back to life and can instantly recognize their owners or have to be re-introduced all over again as a new owner?? - just a thought - surely it would be safer and cheaper to do some research with our deceased pets rather than our deceased kids??

will the mods 'freeze' this thread in the end??
I think some people have their pets cloned I have never heard the outcome of it but it seems a bad idea to me as pets are the product of their experiences in life and we cannot duplicate those.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Sounds like "The man with two brains"

Has a brain transplant ever been succesful? If so was it with a living brain?
Ok I'm comparing to a computer now,
does the brain have a "hard drive"?
Does it have "ROM"?
'Cos if it's all in "RAM" then all data and operating system are lost on power down.
Yes... there is evidence that memories are stored in brain cells, hence why cryonics focuses on preservation of cells

But if it is possible, could I choose the body?
Technically, yes - by that time we would have mastered genetics and growing/regrowing/repairing body parts will probably be as trivial as your body repairing itself when you cut yourself.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 02:05 PM

Just a heartbeat away from creating a 'master race' - sound familiar at all ?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Yes... there is evidence that memories are stored in brain cells, hence why cryonics focuses on preservation of cells

Technically, yes - by that time we would have mastered genetics and growing/regrowing/repairing body parts will probably be as trivial as your body repairing itself when you cut yourself.

That's what I have trouble with, are memories stored electronically, chemically or a combination of both. I must say I find the idea of chemical memories intriguing.

That sounds a bit druggy!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2015, 11:25 PM

That's what I have trouble with, are memories stored electronically, chemically or a combination of both. I must say I find the idea of chemical memories intriguing.

That sounds a bit druggy!
Apparently... yes, according to a recent study:

Can memory be retained after cryopreservation? […] Our results in testing memory retention after cryopreservation show that the mechanisms that regulate the odorant imprinting (a form of long-term memory) in C. elegans have not been modified by the process of vitrification or by slow freezing.
http://rockstarresearch.com/cryonics...odel-organism/
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

23-10-2015, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Just a heartbeat away from creating a 'master race' - sound familiar at all ?
Except nobody is trying to kill anyone else. In fact the VP of Alcor (who is British btw) thinks Cryonics should be available to everyone, and thinks it's crazy that govts are not offering it.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top