Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:01 AM

One of those moments in time

The old plates taken at the time of the opening of the tomb have been colourised.

One of those moments in time that I would liked to have seen

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...discovery.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Re: One of those moments in time

The first book i got from a library was about Howard Carters discovery of Tutankhamun tomb. It fixed in me a long standing interest in Archeology .

It seem some think that they may have discovered a hidden chamber in his tomb that some think may be Nefertiti`s own resting place. Fascinating stuff.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:34 AM

It makes you wonder if there might still be such places to be discovered.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
The first book i got from a library was about Howard Carters discovery of Tutankhamun tomb. It fixed in me a long standing interest in Archeology .

It seem some think that they may have discovered a hidden chamber in his tomb that some think may be Nefertiti`s own resting place. Fascinating stuff.
Thanks Alan and Nom
I was reading about that but not sure if it is a commercial plot which would be a shame. I would like to think there are still undiscovered tombs, but if there were they would not have the same impact as the Tut finding

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...i-archaeology/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 11:06 AM

A documentary i saw when in hospital, was by a female Egyptian Archaeologist who was searching for Nefertiti`s tomb, and she put forward a compelling case for it being in the ruins of a city.

The documentary finished at the end of the digging season, so perhaps next year things may be resolved. Im sure there is plenty still to be found.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 11:08 AM

I also think there is plenty more to be found. Fascinating stuff.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 02:30 PM

We visited the Valley of the Kings in 2008 and were fortunate to have the opportunity to enter King Tut's tomb. It was small, very atmospheric and contained the mummy of the King as well as the impressive sarcophagus. The tomb is not as ornate as some of the other tombs we visited but the fact that we had seen this part of history was an amazing experience ....as was actually touching the Great Pyramid of Giza on another visit to Egypt a few years earlier.
solo
UK

08-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We visited the Valley of the Kings in 2008 and were fortunate to have the opportunity to enter King Tut's tomb. It was small, very atmospheric and contained the mummy of the King as well as the impressive sarcophagus. The tomb is not as ornate as some of the other tombs we visited but the fact that we had seen this part of history was an amazing experience ....as was actually touching the Great Pyramid of Giza on another visit to Egypt a few years earlier.
They have built a replica of the tomb. When you think how tiny it is and the amount of visitors that pass through, damage was inevitable,

Article

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2613b3e2-c...44feabdc0.html
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
They have built a replica of the tomb. When you think how tiny it is and the amount of visitors that pass through, damage was inevitable,

Article

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/2613b3e2-c...44feabdc0.html
Yes Solo, it is tiny and quite claustrophobic in there - we were given a small piece of cardboard on entering the tomb (which we had to make a donation for!) to fan ourselves with We were also asked not to touch the walls leading down to the tomb as so much contact was causing deterioration.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Speaking of things Egyptian - whatever came of the plan to explore a 'secret chamber' beneath the Sphinx ?

I was supposedly a 'Hall of Records' but 'they' seem to have gone quiet about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top