Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:28 PM

Re: High definition close circuit television.

Some years ago, the powers-that-be in the UK were thinking about a motoring scheme.
The idea was that a satellite would look down to cars on a motorway, and check the speed. There was sufficient clarity to be able to read the registration number of the car, and an offence would be documented.

This is where it gets a bit dodgy - two things would happen. Firstly, the registered owner of the car would be held responsible for the speeding offence (whether or not he was driving the vehicle at the time), and receive a photograph and notification of the automatic fine.
Secondly - this is where you all start shouting at me - the fine would be taken out of your bank account at the same time.

The technology has existed for this to happen for years. It was turned down at the time, but the concept may again be raised in the future.

Incidentally, if anybody uses the M1 going through Bedfordshire, be aware that speeding cameras embedded in overhead bridges are due to be switched on 24 hours a day. Apparently, there will be zero tolerance - forget the 10% allowance..
Neighbouring Police Forces have criticized Bedford Constabulary for this approach, warning that it will make a hostile situation between the motoring public and the police.

We are being monitored by CCTV far more than we realise....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:39 PM

That's amazing Han, it's so clear
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Its quite scary how much info they can see now from CCTV images..I just hope the "watchers" know what theyre watching out for
One of my many jobs (I had 5 at once to pay my sons Uni fees ) was as a member of a team monitoring emergency alarms and local CCTV. The latter was comparatively new technology then.
The pictures at that time (1990s) were really poor and it was difficult to make out any details. Even so we could at least alert the police to anything suspicious or someone trying to break into a shop at night.

Most people didn't know the cameras were there, they were inside some of the street lights.

We saw lots of foxes and badgers during the night
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:05 AM

Funny but when I posted in another thread about the prevalence of satellites that are constantly photographing everything 24x7 (well over 2000 of them), people didn't believe me !

The discussion was around the plane that mysteriously disappeared some time ago and which they were searching for, for a very long time.

I said then that it is IMPOSSIBLE for any airplane to disappear now. They have all the photos of every moment, from the second a plane takes off until it lands again. Nothing any of us do is private any more. You are being filmed 24x7 from space. The moment you step out of your door each morning, get into your car and drive somewhere, the cameras are on you.

Any crime committed in plain sight can be unravelled simply by playing back the photo stream. You start at the crime scene, say it's a murder in a back alley. You rewind the pictures back from there which reveals the villain going backwards from the scene, you see perhaps that he came from a car, you watch the photo stream ad follow that car back from where it started and so on.

Big Brother has been watching us for quite some time.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigapan-canucks-g7.html

Ever wonder how they found the Boston bombers in just a few days?

There in lies the problem of surveillance,it didn't and won't prevent such atrocities,its all very well catching some one after the fact.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
There in lies the problem of surveillance,it didn't and won't prevent such atrocities,its all very well catching some one after the fact.
Not necessarily Barrie , I can think of instances when it may for example people planting a pre-set bomb and walking away and those under surveillance caught before they can attack.

We are told a number of terrorist plots have been foiled in this country this year, I would be surprised if cameras had not played a part in that.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:09 PM

I'm commenting more on the camera surveillance,tapping phones and the like probably does work,but where as it been shown that a street corner camera prevent's any crime,its being used by the government as a means to do away with the bobby on the beat.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top