Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Poorly dog mystery.

I've had a poorly dog the last few days, and it's a bit of a mystery as to why.

On Thursday she went in to the vets for a bit of descaling before it got bad, and come tea time that evening she didn't want much to eat.
This was fair enough as she wasn't quite 100% out of the anaesthetic, so I just hand fed her a few bits of chicken chopped small and left it at that.
However, the next day, Friday, she couldn't seem to eat her tea properly. Izzy is one of those gusty eaters normally, so to see her being last finished by a mile was odd.
It was only later in the evening I noticed 2 wet patches in her bed. I thought she'd had a little leak (never done before), but then I noticed her front legs were wet, and her chest hair - she was dribbling, and I realised then that was the cause of the wet bed too.
I looked inside her mouth. Her teeth and gums looked good. Then I saw her tongue was peculiar. Half way back there were 2 raw patches, and there was also white patches nearer the tip, a bit like a slimy mould. That poor girl, it looked very sore, no wonder she was dribbling and unable to pick her food up properly.
I caught the vet before he went home and he couldn't understand it at all. He said they do not give them anything at all that could possibly do that to her. He said to ring him at 8am next morning, Saturday, on the emergency number with a progress report. He wanted to see her if she was no better.

I gave her some cold live Yoghurt and some Aloe Vera juice to lap, to try and soothe the soreness and had her sleep in my room so I could see/hear her during the night. She was shuffling about alot and drooling on and off all night.

I phoned the vet early in the morning and said it looked even more sore, so he said to take her in, which I did. Her tongue obviously painful, poor Iz.
He was convinced she had been fine when they had her in, and as he was working in her mouth he would have soon noticed if her tongue had been like it then, so it was a mystery.

This had better be continued, because it is quite long winded. But I will tell you she is improving today.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 02:11 PM

Re: Poorly dog mystery.

Thats very strange Mups ....I do hope poor Izzy soon feels a lot better and that her sore tongue improves .....Its always a worry when our pets are under the weather,we love them so much and hate to see them poorly like this ..sending good wishes to you and Izzy
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 02:12 PM

my first thought is any instruments used were not sterile .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Thanks Aysa, it really was so odd.
I cooked and flaked a bit of white fish for her last night, thinking that would be very soft for her tongue, and she managed that with me holding the bowl up for her.
Because she is losing fluid with the drooling, I am making small drinks of Manuka Honey diluted in water for her too, which she is enjoying. That should help soothe the inflammation along with the Yoghurt and Aloe.

Eliza
, I must admit my first thought was to do with the pipe they put down the throat when they're unconscious, but he is an excellent vet and I do trust him. He was totally baffled and in fact said "How bizaar."

She is on anti-biotics and pain killers from the vet at the mo. I asked him if it is possible for dogs to get oral thrush because that is what the white patches looked like. He said in theory yes, but he didn't think it was that.
He asked me to phone with another progress report Sunday morning too, which I did today. I do believe I can see the first signs of improvement.

When I went to dispensary to get her medication, one of the nurses was in there and she stopped to make a fuss of Iz. It turned out she saw Izzy when she was hospitalised and told me she was constantly licking the bars of the kennel door. I have a bit of a metal fireguard at home which I use to put across the back door to keep them in/out if I'm washing the floor, and I'm always telling her off for licking that too, so I can quite believe the nurse. She said they tried to stop her but she just kept on.

Then the penny dropped. I went back and told the vet what the nurse had said, and asked him what steriliser/disinfectant they used in their kennels, and asked if that could be what burnt her tongue. He thought it might be a possibility, but had doubts too. He said just to be safe, if she ever goes in again for anything, they will cover the bars in her kennel.

Anyway, she is still on medication, plus the gentler things I am giving her, and as I said, there are small signs of improvement today.
The dribbling has nearly ceased, so that's good, and she enjoyed some finely chopped chicken this morning. The vet did not charge me for the consultation, anti-bios and pain killers.
Poor old Iz, I hate to see them hurting, she is such a happy, fun loving soul usually. She is Nellie's granny.
What a freak thing to happen if it was her licking the bars all day. We'll probably never know.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I looked inside her mouth. Her teeth and gums looked good. Then I saw her tongue was peculiar. Half way back there were 2 raw patches, and there was also white patches nearer the tip, a bit like a slimy mould. That poor girl, it looked very sore, no wonder she was dribbling and unable to pick her food up properly.
I caught the vet before he went home and he couldn't understand it at all. He said they do not give them anything at all that could possibly do that to her. He said to ring him at 8am next morning, Saturday, on the emergency number with a progress report. He wanted to see her if she was no better.

I gave her some cold live Yoghurt and some Aloe Vera juice to lap, to try and soothe the soreness and had her sleep in my room so I could see/hear her during the night. She was shuffling about alot and drooling on and off all night.

I phoned the vet early in the morning and said it looked even more sore, so he said to take her in, which I did. Her tongue obviously painful, poor Iz.
He was convinced she had been fine when they had her in, and as he was working in her mouth he would have soon noticed if her tongue had been like it then, so it was a mystery.

This had better be continued, because it is quite long winded. But I will tell you she is improving today.
Mups that it sounds as though the problem could be the opportunist yeast infection candida which can attack an area like the mouth when it has been 'traumatised' or the body when it is under stress (after an anaesthetic) live biological yogurt spread on the area may help as will the appropriate medication if the condition is diagnosed by the vet.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

31-07-2016, 02:54 PM

Yes, I said I asked him about thrush Meg, but I suppose it's difficult to say for sure what the cause was. She is still having her live yoghurt, she likes that - they all do, even little Girtie, and they sit in a row and wait for it to be spooned out.

If it gets worse again, I will ask him to take a swab.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I said I asked him about thrush Meg, but I suppose it's difficult to say for sure what the cause was. She is still having her live yoghurt, she likes that - they all do, even little Girtie, and they sit in a row and wait for it to be spooned out.
'Thursday' , it's only Sunday Mups so still early days post op for Izzy.
An anesthetic can be a stress on the immune system allowing nasties to take over. Hopefully Izzy should gradually improve
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Sorry poor Izzy is not too good, I hope she is better very soon.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 04:04 PM

So sorry to hear about Izzy Mups, perhaps she has had an allergic reaction to the Anesthetic?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 04:11 PM

If the 'white' is just a white coating....then it will surely get better quickly.
If the 'white patches' are actually the tongue that has lost its colour in several places then it could be more serious if it hasn't gone back to its normal pink colour by now.
Dogs dribble and suck metal rails and cages when their teeth need attention, they suffer from toothache like we do.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top