Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Cholestorol down a bit

I had a blood test recently and my cholestorol has dropped from 8.6 to 7.7. Its still high I know but it going in the right direction at least and my doctor didn't recommend statins thank goodness because I don't want to take them. She recommended more exercise but I have a bad knee as well so that makes walking as a form of exercise difficult and the gym is out for the same reason. I think I will try and do some more swimming and more still when I retire. Otherwise just cut down on the saturated fats as much as possible I guess. I am already having a bottle of Benecol a day whch is supposed to help. I will have another blood test in 6 months and see if it has come down some more.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 12:36 PM

Re: Cholestorol down a bit

That's brilliant news Dog Lover You're an inspiration to me. My cholestrol is high and I am on statins so it's nice to hear yours has gone down without them.

Swimming will be brilliant for you, I go every morning except Saturdays, it does me the world of good and helps me lose weight. I have a bottle of Benecol a day as well, the doctor suggested it, plus I'm trying to cut down on saturated fats.

Keep up the good work and well done
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 12:40 PM

I agree with Alison, Val. Very good news. Well done to you
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 03:13 PM

Thanks Jan and Alison for your comments I really don't want to go on statins as I have heard they can cause respiratory problems and I am already a bit asthmatic so don't want to take something that may make that worse. Are you getting any side effects with them Alison ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 03:46 PM

That's good news Val, well done .....keep it up.
The Dog Lover
Watford

31-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Thanks Mags
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Hubby takes statins Val, and he has had no side effects and he's been on them years (about 10 I think) As his cholesterol gradually came down, they lowered his dose and for the past few years his level is at a steady 4.5.
The Dog Lover
Watford

31-01-2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks Jan thats interesting. I will see how I get on without them first. I would like to get down to 6 if possible. My doctor says 7.7 equates to a 15% chance of a stroke or heart attack but in my favour is that first I am a woman and second that I come from strong genes as parents and grandparents lived to a good age healthily. So we shall see.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 07:37 PM

That's good news Val my Doctor advised porridge oats for lowering 'bad' cholesterol .
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Thanks Jan and Alison for your comments I really don't want to go on statins as I have heard they can cause respiratory problems and I am already a bit asthmatic so don't want to take something that may make that worse. Are you getting any side effects with them Alison ?
I haven't at the moment but I've only been on them three weeks as I was in the middle of swimming when I had a angina attack and that was about three weeks ago. I never had any problems with my heart before that. I don't even know what my cholestrol is, I didn't even know I had high cholestrol until recently when I was in hospital three weeks ago You think my GP would have mentioned it I'll get my GP to keep an eye on it. It's early days for me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top