Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 10:56 AM

Eye Test

I've booked an eye test @ Specsavers for next week because I am having problems again with my long-sightedness.

This time the woman there asked a number of questions about my sight and then explained that, as I am over 60 the NHS pay for the Eye Test but if I had one and nothing was prescribed I then have to pay the Eye Test Fee.

I didn't know that so I thought I'd pass it on. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:06 AM

Re: Eye Test

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've booked an eye test @ Specsavers for next week because I am having problems again with my long-sightedness.

This time the woman there asked a number of questions about my sight and then explained that, as I am over 60 the NHS pay for the Eye Test but if I had one and nothing was prescribed I then have to pay the Eye Test Fee.

I've never heard that one Steve - try a different optician ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:08 AM

That's interesting Steve I get mine free have done since I turned 50 because I was diagnosed diabetic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Steve I think you have been misinformed.
Am I entitled to free NHS sight test?
You qualify for a free NHS funded sight test if you are:
aged 60 or over

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/895.aspx...CategoryID=157
..there are no ifs and buts about it as far as I am aware. You can also have a free eye test in one optician and request the prescription for specs which you can then take to any optician.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Anyone under 60 using spec savers can use this voucher to get a free eye test too http://www.specsavers.co.uk/stores/w.../free-eye-test
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

I don't see how that can be true i went to specsavers be for Xmas,told them i could not afford to buy new ones this side of christmas and they were fine didn't need to pay anything .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I don't see how that can be true i went to specsavers be for Xmas,told them i could not afford to buy new ones this side of christmas and they were fine didn't need to pay anything .

That's the way I 'see' it too - see what I did there .....
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 03:11 PM

If Specsavers are charging people over 60 for the eye test they wouldn't get my custom, the eye test is free for over sixties whether they need to buy glasses or not.
I have not long since had my 2 year check up at my local optician, and there was no change from last time, so no new glasses needed and no charge.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 03:39 PM

Be very careful, if you go back you will be given a load of drivel about them doing you a favour by not charging. I got a load of drivel about being 'given' better lenses than I ordered, even though I had ordered and paid for the best - then a couple of friends were given the same drivel, did not even bother to alter the wording - I have never been back and I do not think that my friends have either - how to win customers according to the book of ..... St Drivel.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 03:46 PM

An NHS sight test is free of charge if clinically necessary. It is up to your ophthalmic practitioner to decide whether a sight test is necessary in your case or not. If you ask for a sight test and it is not considered clinically necessary, you may have to pay for it even if you are usually entitled to a free NHS sight test.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top