Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Talent

People may talk of a talented musician, but surely what they mean is a person who has worked extremely hard to achieve an exceptional skill. Talent is surely something you are born with?

In " To Kill A Mockingbird", Harper Lee says "people in their right minds never take pride in their talents". Do you agree?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Re: Talent

NO, NO, NO. Nothing wrong with being pleased with a talent you possess. Bragging about it is a different matter.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 03:07 PM

Maybe talent is to achievement as nature is to nurture??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 03:16 PM

I think talent is a gift - its how you use and express that gift
Some people learn to sing - but they never master the art, no matter how many lessons or practice they have.
Start with your gift and nurture it .......
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 03:31 PM

My son can play guitar very well, but won't move forward with his talent..
I can sing better now because i have practiced harder, but only the songs that i know i can sing..
So really your not born with talent, it's all practice and moving on with what you've learn't.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
My son can play guitar very well, but won't move forward with his talent..
I can sing better now because i have practiced harder, but only the songs that i know i can sing..
So really your not born with talent, it's all practice and moving on with what you've learn't.
I disagree. I think a talent IS innate at birth, but it is what you do with it and how you develop it that matters. Some people cannot sing in tune no matter how hard they try to develop that skill. Lots of people learn to play the piano or another instrument, but those with talent play musically while many others will always sound wooden.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I disagree. I think a talent IS innate at birth, but it is what you do with it and how you develop it that matters. Some people cannot sing in tune no matter how hard they try to develop that skill. Lots of people learn to play the piano or another instrument, but those with talent play musically while many others will always sound wooden.
I could sing a little when i was young but i was very nervous. But over the years the singing blossomed. So you could be right?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 04:05 PM

Practise makes perfect, but then does that make it a skill, as opposed to a talent?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 04:20 PM

I was born with the talent to become a sardonic old git-made it
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Practise makes perfect, but then does that make it a skill, as opposed to a talent?
A skill - Lionel Blair made a living out of dancing
He was taught the steps - but could not bring them to life, he just flounced around like a wooden spoon.
Flair and interpretation, cannot be taught, you have to have it in you to be 'good'

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top