Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:17 AM

Performing animals

All the talk about Crufts has got me thinking, well wondering really. People get up in arms about animals performing in circuses and being transported from place to place in cages, but they donīt appear to have the same reactions to dog shows such as Crufts, or cat shows etc. Is there such a big difference? Show animals are transported in cages too, often abroad, they are made to perform for the public and then the poor creatures are judged on their appearance and behaviour. Personally I see very little difference between such events and circuses, so where are the big outcries calling for banning these events?
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Re: Performing animals

Also keeping dogs as pets and training them is only teaching them to perform. No difference in my book, all down to perception as is all forms of animal training for human use and convenience.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:41 AM

I think the difference for me anyway is I like to think dog shows are full of people like my SIL who love their dog and just want to see if she can make him the best he can be, proud and happy to show others Sonny Jim. Having seen him being shown I would say he loves it, adores the judges and the fuss. And if he didn't she wouldn't be off weekends through out the year to various shows.

Crufts is not where she will end up showing and she is well aware of that and is just as likely to be showing Sonny Jim at the happiest dog, or cutest smile stalls as she is the best in show.

Whereas performing animals in a circus don't have that love and home life.

I also make a different judgement on performing as in acting, I love seeing dogs etc in films and I like to think they are happy doing that.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Whereas performing animals in a circus don't have that love and home life.

I also make a different judgement on performing as in acting, I love seeing dogs etc in films and I like to think they are happy doing that.
As I said all down to perception.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
As I said all down to perception.
I don't have a link as I read it years ago but there have been proper scientific tests that prove performing animals in a circus show 100% more stress than dogs being trained to perform tasks for filming. The tests were done on the animals in homeward bound and chipperfields circus if I remember correctly.

So not just perception.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth

10-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
So not just perception.
I beg to disagree as I said all down to perception as is all forms of animal training for human use and convenience. Not just confining my thoughts to dogs and there usage by humans.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Being some one of faith I am often for some reason accused of not believing in science, I believe the science behind this question and am told it's just perception. Most confusing.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
All the talk about Crufts has got me thinking, well wondering really. People get up in arms about animals performing in circuses and being transported from place to place in cages, but they donīt appear to have the same reactions to dog shows such as Crufts, or cat shows etc. Is there such a big difference? Show animals are transported in cages too, often abroad, they are made to perform for the public and then the poor creatures are judged on their appearance and behaviour. Personally I see very little difference between such events and circuses, so where are the big outcries calling for banning these events?
I did wonder if it was stress that caused the crufts dog to die,my dog doesn't travel well and she shows this by being sick.
I see some dogs being trotted round the crufts ring ,looking like they are being hung by their owners.
Other dogs can barely see where they are going their hair is so long over their eyes ..
ISee Crufts solely for the owners enjoyment.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 12:48 PM

I believe all Wild animals should be left in the Wild in their own territories..

And Pets... should be kept as pets and bred with their own breed...
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 01:02 PM

One of my pet hates , using animals to entertain us , as soon I see a animal use for tv ad of used in a film , off goes the channel followed by a rant

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top