Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Re: I Wish There Was An ‘Abbreviation Corner’ On Here.

Used to like the old abbreviations:-

HOLLAND

SWALK

BURMA

- from the back of handwritten letters...!

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
How many times do you read a post and it’s full of abbreviations? The poster knows their meaning but many others don’t!
It’s annoying to try and work it out and then have to go off site to ‘google’ it.
One such abbreviation l noticed today was, FOFLFAO. I ‘googled’ it but it didn’t show up in the search.
I have, l think, now worked it out.....eeek!

Do any other members get annoyed with abbreviations?
Do you google them, try and work them out yourself or wish their was an ‘Abbreviation Corner’ aka AC!
I assume that it means Falls On Floor Laughing (Effing) Ass Off. - A home-made acronym.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
IMO, I think that's a poster's corruption of the accepted ROFLMAO - so, in effect, two spelling mistakes in an acronym ..... OTOH, FOFLFAO may well be the new ROFLMAO - I may OOD .....

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/

Exactly Omah!

Regards Donkeyman!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Used to like the old abbreviations:-

HOLLAND

SWALK

BURMA

- from the back of handwritten letters...!

As a young man who was invented before letters were written, that's mighty confusing to me, Tedc.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 02:47 PM

CGAFF=Couldn't Give A Flying FFFFFFFig
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 03:23 PM

And an erstwhile member's favourite.

DILLIGAF
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Guilty M'Lud! I only ever use one abbreviation, and that is HWMO when referring to Him indoors. (He who must obey). and that is laziness as can't be bothered to type the whole thing every time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
How many times do you read a post and it’s full of abbreviations? The poster knows their meaning but many others don’t!
It’s annoying to try and work it out and then have to go off site to ‘google’ it.
One such abbreviation l noticed today was, FOFLFAO. I ‘googled’ it but it didn’t show up in the search.
I have, l think, now worked it out.....eeek!

Do any other members get annoyed with abbreviations?
Do you google them, try and work them out yourself or wish their was an ‘Abbreviation Corner’ aka AC!

Agree with you 100% Art.

I find it really annoying, and hardly ever know what they are talking about. Like you, I have to go off and google to try and find out what they mean.
As you say on the one I hi-lighted, I never could understand what the poster meant, so I lose interest in what they are saying.

It is either to try and get away with offensive swearing, or else just plain lazy IMO.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

22-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Agree with you 100% Art.

I find it really annoying, and hardly ever know what they are talking about. Like you, I have to go off and google to try and find out what they mean.
As you say on the one I hi-lighted, I never could understand what the poster meant, so I lose interest in what they are saying.

It is either to try and get away with offensive swearing, or else just plain lazy IMO.
Or even IMHO.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 05:09 PM

Abbreviations are a way of life in my field. Nobody writes kilowatts.
kW it is.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top