Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 03:03 PM

Re: Had You Ever Heard Of, Or Used The Word ‘Lockdown’ Before Covid -19?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, have heard it used many times in American crime dramas... 'Lockdown the building's or 'Lock it down'
Originally Posted by mart ->
I've heard furlough mentioned in American films. I think when referring to leave from the armed services.
Ditto, same here, although I though "furlough" meant "R&R" as in "the GI was on R&R when the rest of his unit was sent forward".
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Ditto, same here, although I though "furlough" meant "R&R" as in "the GI was on R&R when the rest of his unit was sent forward".
Good point. Used likewise here.

Signed,

An American: "Destroying the King's English since 1776."
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 08:49 PM

I'm sure I've heard the word Lockdown before, probably in films as others have said but I had never heard the word furlough before ..... and yes, I had to look it up in the dictionary too.

Strange though, I keep forgetting the word and have to ask Mr Mags what that word was again!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top