Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 03:14 PM

Re: Life in the Fifties as it really was

The fifties for me is best described as 'greyness' drab houses, drab clothes, drab food. The only colour was in the fields and the wildflowers ...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 03:20 PM

I was 14 as we entered the 1950s.

Families were still rebuilding their lives after the war.

Finished at the new trial "comprehensive" in 52 .

Clothes were still very simple and going out was usually about going to the pictures.

Posh eating houses were, virtually, unknown and a good meal was from the many Chippies.

Thinness seemed to be the norm.

Trains were steam and had corridor carriages! It took about 6 hours to go from Yorkshire to London!

Went on the plane, first time, in early 1957. Flew home from Singapore on a big plane with 4 propellers (Super G Constellation?). Engine failed half way and we had to sleep over in Calcutta whilst they fixed it.

Children's toys were few and often made by the parents.

Although we all had school holiday part time jobs, the first real job I had was in the Merchant Navy - where my wage was around 60 pounds per month.I didn't crack the "thousand a year" target until 1964.

Courting was good but you had to be very careful - pregnancy was going to mean disaster.

None, of our sort, had a telephone - we had to stand at the BT Box waiting to ring the other half.

A TV was a rarity - never saw one, myself, in the 50s.

Learning to Snog, in the back row, was fun though!

Got married in 1959.

Yes, a very good decade for me!

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 06:03 PM

I remember my mother putting our zip up snow boots on the ’Last’ and hammering studs in the soles to make them last longer!
You could hear us clomping along from miles away!

They were ugly boots with studs in but great for skidding!!

I still have the ‘Last’!!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 08:40 PM

What I miss is that you could go out for the day and be blissfully unaware of what was going on anywhere else in the world.And Journey into Space on the wireless.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I remember my mother putting our zip up snow boots on the ’Last’ and hammering studs in the soles to make them last longer!
You could hear us clomping along from miles away!

They were ugly boots with studs in but great for skidding!!

I still have the ‘Last’!!
I remember my Dad putting our school shoes on the Last and hammering the Blakey's into the heels. They made a great click noise after when you walked He also used to cut out the new leather soles to fit over the holes in our shoes
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
If i could swap the fifties for now i would be straight in there. Yes most were poor but weren't people so much nicer then chatting over the garden fence with a cuppa.

Ah! the fifties... Rationing, polio, scarlet fever, the Kray twins, the Hungarian uprising, Thalidomide, Peter Rachman, rickets, Korean War, Harold Macmillan...

What fun times they were and how quickly we forget, what would I give to have it all back? absolutely nothing.

Now the 60s they were something else...
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:19 AM

I was too busy with my schoolwork to notice much about the 60s. I did acquire the man I would marry in 1969, but only saw him during my school and his university hols.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:49 AM

I can't see the Fifties as one thing, there was a huge difference between 1951 and 1959. It was only much later looking back that I started thinking in decades.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Im a fifties child too I was brought up in a one parent family just me my sister and my mum, I will admit life wasn't easy but as a kid you just accept your lot ..It's normal for you. It's only looking back as an adult you realise blinking heck yes life was hard.

I was lucky to have an older sister who was capable as mum used to disappear for periods God knows where but we managed.

I counted with my sister once how many different rooms in different houses we lived in when we were kids we stopped counting at 16 , mum would run up the rent and we would move on....luckily it was always in the same area so my school was constant and I still had the same pals. My dolls pram was a godsend for moving us about.

For all that though I had some happy times as a kid but not like most of you with family mine were with other kids and adventures in the streets.

I'm glad to be a fifties child if I were born later I'm sure we would have been taken into care and that would have been a disaster for us. We both did quite well in life by the way my sister became a head mistress and I didn't do too badly in my own way
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Back then one could play in the street without the worry of a paedophile waiting to pounce. games were invented like "searchlight he" bit like hide and seek but using a touch to spot someone hiding.

Discarded pram wheels were quickly adapted to make what we called a dandy ( go cart with pull anong string).
Horse drawn rag and bone carts with a guy ringing a bell and shouting out.
Blue police boxes with flashing light on top if the station wanted to get hold of the copper on that beat.

Trolley buses watching them changing over the roof pickup rails to the overhead cables.

Croydon airport was an airport back then and watching the planes fly in/out.

link

http://www.croydonairport.org.uk/The-Airport

owning a new push bike was a rare event if your parents could even afford one.

Starting school at the age of 3 and a1/2 and how scaring the first day was in 1948/9.

Teachers very strict and loved punishing kids for very little reason, now they would be in court for child molesting.

having to go play football in the freezing cold one half day a week, it didn't matter if the ground was covered in snow or it was icy

Oh yes good and very bad times for children back then

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top