Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Re: Radio controlled boats, planes, and cars.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is our first venture into Electric Flight with a Ducted Fan Jet, An L59 Super Albatros, lets hope it does not end up like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcpASvOZ-yA
Nasty.
Are you saying that you are new to electric flight, or this is your first venture into ducted fan model?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Nasty.
Are you saying that you are new to electric flight, or this is your first venture into ducted fan model?
Both, my Son and I were always IC stalwarts, but, most sites don't allow, or are unsuitable for Jet Turbines and the like, so this was the closest proximation available, also, sometimes mechanical issues can put a stop to some flying sessions, so, it seems prudent to have a couple of Electric options, just incase, but he runs different radio options for both types, Futaba/Corona for the IC models and Spektrum for the Electric.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 03:52 PM

I was just trying to know if you had experience with model flying which you have.
I myself have not played with ducted fan, but I have seen a few. They either work, or just a lot of noise.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 04:00 PM

One reason we avoided electric power at the start was the lack of battery technology, but this has come on leaps and bounds, the son has an 96" span Extra 330, powered by a 55cc Petrol unit, which was previously electric powered, this would have been unheard of a little as a decade ago.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

05-10-2015, 05:13 PM

I bought my first electric powered model in 2004 and they had been going for a while before that. It was a Superfly that was an EPP foam wing type. I still have 2 of them and although the original was retired, and hangs on the wall, it would still fly if I was to bring it out of retirement.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-10-2015, 09:52 PM

I am just breathing new life back into Glens Cap 232 68" span, one piece wing, this was acquired 15 years ago, fortunately the original graphics are still available, so can be returned to original. A new canopy and cowl will be fitted, and spats. When purchased, it was fitted with an MDS 148, which when started was so rough, it almost rattled the airframe apart, I have a more refined 120 two stroke, to be fitted.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Gorgeous day down the field today, Son put his Weston Hype through it's paces, thank God for such days.
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 05:55 PM

That's not a hobby - it's an obsession!!!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

16-11-2015, 06:49 PM

I have not Been able to get out and fly any of my stuff for a while. It's because I can't leave my wife for too long, and can't get to the flying field and back in time for her needs.
Although I have a field rear of my house, most of the time during the week the school use it. Week ends the football clubs have it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-01-2016, 11:07 AM

Assembling a large Extra 330L, it does not come with instructions as it is assumed, if you are using one of these, you already know. As usual, I made a visit to one of the RC sites on the Net, to have a look at others build of the same. I came across an Australian geezers blog, the first four pages were very useful, directly related to the build, the next few entries showed him fitting every device under the sun, Smoke System (fair enough), three cameras, air speed indicator?, multiple failsafes, any way, this was 2013, and my thought was, what if this lot comes in. Well he few it a couple of times, and sure as eggs is eggs, it came in (he got a nice video of it though), in 2015 someone contacted him and asked him if he ever flew it again, he said no, he repaired it and sold it, because he and his wife moved countries, C'est la Vie.

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top