Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Logie sure gave us a lot to think about there with all his dabblings but I thought Mr King Camp Gillette with his replaceable head was the razor whizz.

Mind you with a middle name of Camp, gawd help him if he had met with Logies mums lover for who knows what would have been said or what consequences it may have had..or maybe he did and that's how the idea for replaceable heads came into being.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 01:24 PM

I have enjoyed reading the discourse prompted by my post
“What ails thee Jock”.

In passing, I recall a German student who stayed with us for 3 weeks in August of 1996, who told a self deprecating tale of a relative whose child didn’t speak until he was 4 either.
When pressed for a reason, the child replied
“I have not had reason to complain until just now”

WHAT AILS THEE JOCK (alternative version)

Famous first words

Thomas Carlyle never spoke at all until he was two. Then one day he heard his brother crying and asked,
“What ails thee, Jock?”

I can’t remember my first words, probably they were something like,
“Are we there yet.?”. On second thoughts, that can’t be the case because we didn’t have a car until I was about 11 years of age, the same year I was given an encyclopaedia of natural history edited by the splendidly named Professor Bertha Morris Parker. I still have it, and 60 years later still read it from time to time.

I can remember one of my first sentences (very apt word sentence.) dating from my first day at school
“Thank you Miss Chalk,, it’s very nice here but I don’t think I will be coming back again.”
Why a four year old boy who thought his name was “Shaddup” until he arrived at school was so keen to stay at home is hard to explain.(The more astute reader will draw their own conclusion)
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I was about 11 years of age, the same year I was given an encyclopaedia of natural history edited by the splendidly named Professor Bertha Morris Parker. I still have it, and 60 years later still read it from time to time.

As a late talker but avid early reader my parents took the course that if I wanted to learn anything I would regardless of how it was done, so I was taught to count playing crib with my Father and learnt to read from a fascinating old book Enquire Within upon Everything and Old Moore's Almanac which were full of things to fire a childs imagination. Although well thumbed, faded and dog eared I too still have that book.

Never lost my love for books, can still get my change worked out faster than the best cashier or calculator but can take or leave conversing
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Got to be top of the class in the academic subjects, but not sure why, don't remember learning maths or writing, there is always a distinct possibility I was the best of a bad lot.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:10 PM

I still have mY school leavers report.

"Has done all he has been asked"

Damned with faint praise" comes to mind.

Solo, I had Enquire Within, it was like a TARDIS.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Got to be top of the class in the academic subjects, but not sure why, don't remember learning maths or writing, there is always a distinct possibility I was the best of a bad lot.
Yes I noticed you are excellent with the statistics Spitty, fair play to you.
I always wondered what goes into those little boxes on official forms, you know the ones where there is an empty box and it says over it “For Official Use Only”
Once you’ve filled in the form and sent it off that’s it, they never tell you what went into the box, any ideas? or do the just use a rubber stamp saying “Refused” or “Granted”, depending on what humour the clark is in, I always arranged my posting of said forms to arrive in government buildings on a Friday morning, ain’t been refused any pensioners household repair grants yet.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:17 PM

Still have my school reports, always useful, if you don't get the chance to write your own epitaph, its not where you finish, its where you start.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2019, 09:19 PM

The mention there of Logie’s mother put me in mind of that very famous painting “Whistler’s Mother”, while I do like most art, I have to be truthful and say that every time I see that painting it depresses me, why oh why could he not have painted her smiling and ‘looking at the camera’ so to speak, she looks so drab and sad that one would think her house burned down and all her children had died in the fire, or as me old Dad used to say “She looks to me like she’s just delivered a heavy confession to Father Moore and is waiting for her penance”(father Moore was the Parish priest and was notorious for his severe penances, you’d be up all night praying if you robbed an orchard)
We should be all grateful this posing position didn’t catch on, can you imagine the flood of mother paintings all sitting sideways that could have emerged? Marlon Brando’s mother, Edward G Robinson’s mother, Silvester Stallone’s mother,(oh my God!) Maggie Thatcher’s mother, and there wouldn’t be a canvass big enough to paint Jimmy Durante’s mother side ways. thank God for small mercies i say.
By the way that was painted when Whistler was in London, with his mother of course, a man could lose himself in London without his mother you know.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-05-2019, 09:19 PM

That's Un-Canny Jem, I have a Grants in my hand, as I type.
solo
UK

10-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
The mention there of Logie’s mother put me in mind of that very famous painting “Whistler’s Mother”, while I do like most art, I have to be truthful and say that every time I see that painting it depresses me.,
Not surprised she looks a bit miffed Jem. You would to if you were just being used as a stand in for someone who had not turned up. Then you are officially designated as an Arrangement in Grey and Black No 1. Really James!

If that wasn't enough to add insult to injury your precious son then paints you with sprawling flat peasants feet instead of your usual neat pretty slippers. Enough to make any mother weep.

An interesting lady though, cumbersome feet or not

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...utziari-review

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top