Join for free
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 07:59 PM

Hardwood rose cuttings

Last autumn I took Monty don's advice and took some hardwood cuttings form rose 'Mum in a million'. Two out of seven have taken and are now looking very healthy. I did use rooting powder, and as I don't have any suitable ground, I put them in a large container in a mix of compost and coarse sand. I also took some from a very old rose, variety Unknown, that have taken and have even produced flower buds recently. I have removed the buds in the hope of strengthening the stem growth. What Monty didn't make clear is when is the right time to remove these cuttings from their current container and either plant them into the ground or transfer to individual containers. The question then, is does anyone have experience of this.
I have no idea how long it will be before any decent flowers are produced.
I am sufficiently encouraged to take more cuttings this Autumn from other varieties of rose.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Re: Hardwood rose cuttings

I thought you had to graft roses onto a hardy root stock, didn't think you could take cuttings as such. Aren't they all F1 hybrids?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 09:35 PM

I took cutting from my Fairy roses before I moved house, they've all done well. I would wait until they're about a foot tall before planting out Seadog.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2016, 11:21 PM

Seadog and Tess, I think you have both done really well.
I have tried taking rose cuttings but they have never rooted properly - you have spurred me on to try again.

I think I'd probably over winter them in pots this year then plant them out early next spring while they are still dormant, and just before they start getting their new leaves.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top