Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 10:41 AM

Try Walking In My Shoes...!

Yes, I have size 12 feet (both of them), so my shoes are quite big, but that's not what I mean.

Have you ever tried to do someone else's job, for, maybe a week, to see what it's really like?

Put in the hours, take the flak, get small pay for big work?

Do we criticise too soon?

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Re: Try Walking In My Shoes...!

There used to be a programme called fake it on the box which made people do this it was really interesting most could do it and do it well after a month of intense training .

There was a vicar who became a second hand car dealer .

Charlie Dimmock did Latin American dancing

And some go go dancer did show jumping- she had ver been on a horse - after one month she was out jumping people who had been riding for decades .
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Yes, I have size 12 feet (both of them), so my shoes are quite big, but that's not what I mean.

Have you ever tried to do someone else's job, for, maybe a week, to see what it's really like?

Put in the hours, take the flak, get small pay for big work?

Do we criticise too soon?

Hi Ted!
I believe it used to be compulsory for government officials in China
to take a gap year at some time in their career and do the job of
low status for that time, to bring them down ro the level of the
common man ??
I believe this was under Mao tsi dong? Do you think it could be
implemented over here, and what would the benefits be?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Hi Ted!
I believe it used to be compulsory for government officials in China
to take a gap year at some time in their career and do the job of
low status for that time, to bring them down ro the level of the
common man ??
I believe this was under Mao tsi dong? Do you think it could be
implemented over here, and what would the benefits be?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
One of mine did some spare time working as a waitress in a local pub restaurant.She, rapidly, found out how important it was to keep the Customer happy (tips) and the bosses. She had no training for Customer happiness ratings in her other work.

Another is working with litter pickers, down in Crowthorne, and she has learned a lot about humanity (especially those who throw bottles at her as they speed past.)

Two others have been running quiz nights, on behalf of Dementia sufferers. Lots to learn there as some of the audience are sufferers.

For me, it would be good to learn more about farming, and the production of food.

Lots of places to "grow" some learning skills, whilst seeing the work which has to be put in.

As an aside, I often read of courts sending people out on Community service.

Good idea, but I don't know where they put them all to work?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 01:10 PM

When l was with my ex partner, one of his companies was a Feminine Hygiene company. This entailed employing women and men to visit many of the blue chip companies to empty their sanitary bins, replenish air fresheners and fill vending machines in the ladies and gents washrooms/toilets.
His business was booming, then one of his employees was arrested by the police for drink driving. She was dismissed immediately. She was one of his best employees but she was going through a bad time.
As she was dismissed immediately, there was no one to do her job which were the big famous name companies. His other girls were up to their neck in their own work.
Whilst he advertised for more staff, l said we couldn’t let the companies down and l said, l would do it.
Good Grief, what an awful job emptying sanitary bins! Women put all sorts of stuff in them, including embryos.
The worst was that l had to don a blue plastic cap and blue plastic things to cover my shoes when entering food companies. My street cred went really down the drain!

So on that l occasion, l did walk in someone else’s shoes and what a horrid job that was!
Anyway, it wasn’t for long as he employed someone very quickly.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Probably unable to do so since the initial Lockdown?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 02:13 PM

One of mine did some spare time working as a waitress in a local pub restaurant.She, rapidly, found out how important it was to keep the Customer happy (tips) and the bosses. She had no training for Customer happiness ratings in her other work.

Another is working with litter pickers, down in Crowthorne, and she has learned a lot about humanity (especially those who throw bottles at her as they speed past.)

Two others have been running quiz nights, on behalf of Dementia sufferers. Lots to learn there as some of the audience are sufferers.

For me, it would be good to learn more about farming, and the production of food.

Lots of places to "grow" some learning skills, whilst seeing the work which has to be put in.

Sounds like your freinds are all volunteers Ted ?
Good for them !
On your own food production wish might l suggest an allotment??

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
When l was with my ex partner, one of his companies was a Feminine Hygiene company. This entailed employing women and men to visit many of the blue chip companies to empty their sanitary bins, replenish air fresheners and fill vending machines in the ladies and gents washrooms/toilets.
His business was booming, then one of his employees was arrested by the police for drink driving. She was dismissed immediately. She was one of his best employees but she was going through a bad time.
As she was dismissed immediately, there was no one to do her job which were the big famous name companies. His other girls were up to their neck in their own work.
Whilst he advertised for more staff, l said we couldn’t let the companies down and l said, l would do it.
Good Grief, what an awful job emptying sanitary bins! Women put all sorts of stuff in them, including embryos.
The worst was that l had to don a blue plastic cap and blue plastic things to cover my shoes when entering food companies. My street cred went really down the drain!

So on that l occasion, l did walk in someone else’s shoes and what a horrid job that was!
Anyway, it wasn’t for long as he employed someone very quickly.
Arghhhhh! Don’t wanna hear more !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Arghhhhh! Don’t wanna hear more !

Muddy, I used to say the same but my ex partner used to say, ‘Don’t knock it, it makes big money’. It did because he sold the business for a life changing amount and retired at 50!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top