Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 02:31 PM

Re: Downton Abbey

The last Downton Abby ? Oh dear now thats a shame. Ive only ever seen previews of this program and thats been enough to put me off.
My mum and sister both watch it ,I cant see the attraction myself,rather watch paint dry lol
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Well luckily it's not compulsory to watch it, and plenty of other things for you to watch. Personally I have loved it some really excellent acting from Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton and Joanne Froggett in particular.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
The last Downton Abby ? Oh dear now thats a shame. Ive only ever seen previews of this program and thats been enough to put me off.
My mum and sister both watch it ,I cant see the attraction myself,rather watch paint dry lol
I felt the same - pleased I gave it a go though, better than expected
Still - I prefer Catherine Cookson
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I felt the same - pleased I gave it a go though, better than expected
Still - I prefer Catherine Cookson
Interesting I think Catherine wrote from the working class point of view whereas Julian writes from the upper class point of view. I love them both but I can see the difference.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Interesting I think Catherine wrote from the working class point of view whereas Julian writes from the upper class point of view. I love them both but I can see the difference.
Well I would prefer Cookson wouldn't I
Plus they are set up North - fab !
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Personally I have loved it some really excellent acting from Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton and Joanne Froggett in particular.
Yes Julie some good work by these people, the series in my view showed us what life was like in those days and how I wish it was still like that, apart from a few things I struggle to find anything much that is better now, and all those wonderful houses now the subject of the masses wandering round chucking their crisp packets on the grass and mostly just out for the day and not even realizing what they are looking at.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 07:03 PM

I love period films and series and will miss Downton Abbey.

I too would have loved to have lived in those days but with money of course.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 07:43 PM

I have just seen that in a battle for ratings to beat Downton's comeback, the BBC intend showing a one-off 'X-rated' version of Lady Chatterley's Lover at the same time. They have given a journalist a peak preview, who says "nothing is left to the imagination."
Well he would say that wouldn't he, to increase the ratings war no doubt.

These tv companies are worse than Labour v Tories.
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2015, 08:03 PM

I don't understand how ratings wars work when you can record programmes?
Janette
New Member!
warwickshire UK
Janette is female 

16-08-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Yes Julie some good work by these people, the series in my view showed us what life was like in those days and how I wish it was still like that, apart from a few things I struggle to find anything much that is better now, and all those wonderful houses now the subject of the masses wandering round chucking their crisp packets on the grass and mostly just out for the day and not even realizing what they are looking at.

Well - some things are better - like kids not getting rickets, not working 14 hours a day in a factory, not getting proper health care because you couldn't afford to pay for a doctor.
In fact I'd say that for those inconsiderate masses who've paid their money to wander round these wonderful houses things are considerably better.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top