Join for free
Page 7 of 42 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 03:45 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

After running and other outdoor pursuits took over my life back in the eighties mart, I flogged a lot of my electronics stuff, and gave some away, but I knew that one day I would return to the hobby, so I kept some of my most important tools and components, and I mothballed my workshop in the loft. I never lost interest in electrics and electronics and although I was a machinist and mechanical engineer, my electrical knowledge spilled over into my job and I ended up repairing, installing and rewiring as part of my working day.

After retirement I started pawing through some of my old electronics books and realised that the excitement of building something had never gone away, so I opened up the lab and started pottering around. I have always been self taught concerning electronics, but the passion has driven me on to read and learn but mainly through practical experience. Some work and some don't, but sometimes you learn more from the ones that don't work...

I'm glad it has encouraged you regain your interest in electronics mart, you are a mine of information and it's good to have someone like you to bounce my ideas off...
Many years ago (early eighties I think) a distant member of the family asked if their son could come and have a look round the lab. He was about sixteen and keen on electronics. We cobbled a few bits together and produced an amplifier and a couple of oscillators that played interesting tones and sounds.

He was so impressed, and so was I, most people glaze over and get so bored when I rant on about electronics.. I heard later, that he went to university and secured himself a career in electronics. The last I heard he was some 'big shot' in a well known electronics company in America....I like to think that I had contributed to his interest in all things electric...
The worst part for me is when I go to museums and see the old radios B/W and colour TVs i used to work on. I sold of all my circuit diagrams, PAT tester, component stock as a job lot to a competitor (and friend) when I stopped work. The only item I wish I'd kept was the AVO 8. Should have sold the scope and kept that. My really good 24v Weller soldering iron finally went wrong and got replaced with an inferior one.

I still have some relics from the past.

The toolcase that I took into people's houses.
Soldering gun.
Solder sucker.
Solder wick.
Freezer fluid (for faults that only occurred when things warmed up).
A huge bench isolating transformer with 240v and 24v secondary supply.
Thick rubber floor mat.
Rubber bench mat.
BA and metric wooden handled box spanners.
A few odd TV PCBs and VHS parts.
An analogue multimeter that fitted inside the tool case.
2oz tobacco tins with tiny screws and washers.

..even a bit of tag strip that I know is from a 405 to 625 line conversion kit.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Here is the site where I copied the drawing and details from Mart.
https://creativetech1010.blogspot.co...-pi-metal.html

Having used the 555 on many occasions I altered the layout to a more Vero friendly configuration. I found the links you posted very interesting, especially the second one. It contains a Pulse Induction Detector very similar design to the one I'm building.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 09:35 PM

Work producing the search coil body was slow going today, but when I ordered the parts I also included an Integrated circuit that I haven't used before, but I have read about previously, and think it might be very useful in the future. Nothing to do with the metal detector though.....

It's a CD4017D....A decade counter.
Over the years I have used the 555 to make lots of oscillators and timers, but the longer the timing cycle, the less accurate the 555 can be. The 4071 can time very accurately for days or even weeks, but it can also be used to make a very effective light chaser. And that was the purpose that I bought it for.
Watch this space for future experiments.....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 10:08 PM

Watch this space for future experiments.....
Sure will.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 12:14 AM

All these components (except the transistorised ones) bring back unhappy memories, this my be just Radio Ga Ga.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-11-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
All these components (except the transistorised ones) bring back unhappy memories, this my be just Radio Ga Ga.
How come 'unhappy' Spitty?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-11-2020, 11:21 AM

Before we set about soldering all the components on to the veroboard, we must arrange them on this computer version of the veroboard to see how it would all fit together. There is nothing as messy and annoying as trying to reposition components on the board after they have been soldered in.....

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 05:37 PM

Nice project chap. Being a mechanical engineer, electronics is one of the black arts as far as I am concerned.

I used lots of electronic equipment including the scopes pictured earlier for "simple" jobs when I was gainfully employed, as well as all sorts of other electronic kit.
We had banks of single or twin beam 'scopes in multiple groups of fourteen, then when we saw something out of the ordinary we selected each wiggly worm to appear on frequency analysers, but I hadn't a clue how any of it worked.

I learned how to read complicated electrical drawings and was licenced to repair combat aircraft engine control amplifiers down to board replacement level, but not board component level a-cause I hadn't a clue what each component was, let alone what they did.

I haven't a clue what most of the components in your circuit diagram are, or do, but I am impressed by your knowledge and skill and that of the other "wizards" that have posted on your thread. I hadn't realised Besoeker is also located in dear old Donny. I have fond memories of my time there.
I'm also impressed by your woodwork design and construction skills as well.

Please keep us updated. I think it is a really interesting project, and it will have a use at the end of it all.

Chapeau removal to you sir.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Nice project chap. Being a mechanical engineer, electronics is one of the black arts as far as I am concerned.

I used lots of electronic equipment including the scopes pictured earlier for "simple" jobs when I was gainfully employed, as well as all sorts of other electronic kit.
We had banks of single or twin beam 'scopes in multiple groups of fourteen, then when we saw something out of the ordinary we selected each wiggly worm to appear on frequency analysers, but I hadn't a clue how any of it worked.

I learned how to read complicated electrical drawings and was licenced to repair combat aircraft engine control amplifiers down to board replacement level, but not board component level a-cause I hadn't a clue what each component was, let alone what they did.

I haven't a clue what most of the components in your circuit diagram are, or do, but I am impressed by your knowledge and skill and that of the other "wizards" that have posted on your thread. I hadn't realised Besoeker is also located in dear old Donny. I have fond memories of my time there.
I'm also impressed by your woodwork design and construction skills as well.

Please keep us updated. I think it is a really interesting project, and it will have a use at the end of it all.

Chapeau removal to you sir.
Thanks Fruitcake your support is much appreciated. I'll try to keep it easy to understand and hope that more posters look in on the project. I just thought it might add a little more interest and take our minds of covid and brexit for a while....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 10:54 PM

Thanks Fruitcake your support is much appreciated. I'll try to keep it easy to understand and hope that more posters look in on the project. I just thought it might add a little more interest and take our minds of covid and brexit for a while....
And a few bits if you want?

Page 7 of 42 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top