Join for free
Page 31 of 33 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 01:25 PM

Re: Senior Home Office official QUITS after vicious rows with Priti Patel

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Boris has just reiterated his support for Pritti Patel Annie !!
And at the same time he has sent a letter to all MPs laying out
the policy for dealing with employees ?
So it seems his mind is made up!!
There is a new thread started dealing with MPs salaries !

Donkeyman! 👍😀😀👍
Yep Boris's support means a lot. Thanks for your assistance with forum navigation. Much appreciated! 😉
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Boris has just reiterated his support for Pritti Patel Annie !!
And at the same time he has sent a letter to all MPs laying out
the policy for dealing with employees ?
So it seems his mind is made up!!
There is a new thread started dealing with MPs salaries !
The more I hear, the more confidence I have in Boris.

I also hear a lot of criticism in the press and assurances that he is going to back down and give in to the EU's demands.

I'm still happy to give him my support.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The more I hear, the more confidence I have in Boris.

I also hear a lot of criticism in the press and assurances that he is going to back down and give in to the EU's demands.

I'm still happy to give him my support.
So far me too.

I'm particularly impressed with how Boris has handled the Priti Patel allegations.
From here it looks like he's played an absolute blinder!
In early April we were told that the investigation had finished; Boris has sat on this until the time was right before taking action.

Now what little uproar remains will be lost in news of covid, vaccines, Brexit and Christmas!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 06:16 PM

PM's ethics adviser queries Johnson's role in Priti Patel inquiry

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-patel-inquiry

Boris Johnson’s adviser on ethical standards has questioned whether the prime minister should maintain sole responsibility for the ministerial code days after an outcry over the decision not to sack Priti Patel for bullying staff.

Jonathan Evans, the chair of the committee on standards in public life, said the PM having sole discretion over both launching investigations and deciding to punish an errant minister risked looking like “marking your own homework”.

His remarks come after Johnson was accused of double standards after telling ministers there was “no place for bullying” in the wake of a damning report into the behaviour of the home secretary.

Johnson refused to sack Patel on Friday despite an inquiry by his adviser Sir Alex Allan that concluded she had broken the ministerial code.

The prime minister has sole power both to trigger investigations into wrongdoing by ministers, and to decide on what action, if any, to take.

Lord Evans, a former head of MI5, told parliament’s standards committee he was to take evidence on whether to hand both the powers to an independent body similar to those that have been introduced in parliament.

“There is a problem here … the ministerial code does not have the same independent process which supports the Commons’ code [of conduct] and I think that is an issue which has been overtaken. Increasingly – we have seen it in the Commons, we have seen it in the Lords and we have seen it elsewhere – an independent element has been introduced. So there is a kind of mismatch between the expectations of what you would deliver from the Commons and what you get from the ministerial code. So I think there’s a question to be asked about whether there should be more independence, whether the investigative element should be triggered independently, potentially and then there’s the separate but parallel issue of what the response to the actual investigation should be.”

Lord Evans said the public would be confused by the fact that allegations of bullying by MPs are investigated by an independent panel, but allegations of bullying by ministers are not.

“If bullying is treated in one particular way for MPs in their parliamentary role then why would you want to handle it differently in their ministerial role?”
Exactly .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 06:18 PM

checks and balances are not his strong point.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 06:26 PM

Just end the Transition period, ideally with NO deal with the EU, and as far as I'm concerned he can do no wrong.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
PM's ethics adviser queries Johnson's role in Priti Patel inquiry
Exactly .....
Oh what a surprise - another civil servant trying to defend fellow top civil servants!

How ethical is it for an ethics advisor to comment upon matters concerning fellow civil servants?
That I suppose is nothing at all like "marking your own homework" is it, Baron Evans?
As another civil service top earner will he hand his resignation in as a protest too please?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-11-2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
checks and balances are not his strong point.
If by that you mean one that alleged "intelligence" officer shouldn't think it appropriate to support another alleged "intelligence" officer when the one being supported cannot perform the duties he himself said he should perform then I must agree.

Baron Evans is responsible for a few errors in judgement himself, one such being his having been in charge when four suicide bombers killed 52 and injured hundreds more soon after MI5 stopped watching one because they didn't consider him significant.

That aside, the obvious clubbing-together of the old boys club is repugnant.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

24-11-2020, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
If by that you mean one that alleged "intelligence" officer shouldn't think it appropriate to support another alleged "intelligence" officer when the one being supported cannot perform the duties he himself said he should perform then I must agree.

Baron Evans is responsible for a few errors in judgement himself, one such being his having been in charge when four suicide bombers killed 52 and injured hundreds more soon after MI5 stopped watching one because they didn't consider him significant.

That aside, the obvious clubbing-together of the old boys club is repugnant.
Boris is hardly unbiased.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Boris is hardly unbiased.
Thankfully.

Page 31 of 33 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top