Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2020, 11:47 PM

Corned beef for dinner

My beef brisket has been brining for 3 weeks now and I am slowly simmering it for tonight's dinner. So tender. So much flavor. The best part is all of the leftover corned beef to make sandwiches on Jewish rye bread. Oh, yum !

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery-1517429778-slow-cooker-corned-beef-delish-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	14131  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 12:32 AM

Re: Corned beef for dinner

Way to go fellow foodie!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 07:13 AM

What a huge plateful, Bakerman. That would feed four! Looks very tasty. I haven't done home made Corned Beef for a long time - might just have to do some now - especially as you kindly shared your recipe with me.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What a huge plateful, Bakerman. That would feed four! Looks very tasty. I haven't done home made Corned Beef for a long time - might just have to do some now - especially as you kindly shared your recipe with me.
Oh, that photo was from a web site. Not my photo. I generally make more than I need , but it goes into the frig for another time.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:35 AM

Is that what the jews call salt beef? I love their sandwiches.

The only corned beef I know comes in a tin. Haven't had that in years but it makes a tasty hash .... onion and potato.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:38 AM

I love a corned beef sandwich, particularly with the addition of home made beetroot chutney, delicious...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
My beef brisket has been brining for 3 weeks now and I am slowly simmering it for tonight's dinner. So tender. So much flavor. The best part is all of the leftover corned beef to make sandwiches on Jewish rye bread. Oh, yum !
Was that a glass of guiness l saw there BMan??
Was it draught or original ??
Way to go!!

Donkeyman!!👍😀👍
bakerman
Mexico

18-11-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Is that what the jews call salt beef? I love their sandwiches.

The only corned beef I know comes in a tin. Haven't had that in years but it makes a tasty hash .... onion and potato.
No. Salt beef is different from corned beef. Salt beef is very, very, slowly simmered in beef broth until it is almost fall-apart tender, BUT it is NOT brined in a curing powder for weeks. Another difference is that cooked corned beef is a reddish color. Corned beef is very, very slowly simmered in a spiced water BUT not in a beef broth

There is a huge difference in flavor between tinned corned beef and a freshly made corned beef. Kinda like a flavor difference between a hamburger and a rib-eye steak. If you have never had a real corned beef sandwich, may I suggest that the next time you go to London, find a real Jewish Deli and have a hot corned beef of Rye bread.

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Was that a glass of guiness l saw there BMan??
Was it draught or original ??
Way to go!!

Donkeyman!!👍😀👍
Donkeyman, I did not take the photo. I got it off the web.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 07:30 PM

Oh wow! That looks incredibly good!
bakerman
Mexico

18-11-2020, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Oh wow! That looks incredibly good!

Thank you. It is absolutely delicious. Well worth the little effort of making your own. All you need is a good quality beef brisket, some Kosher salt, prague powder (on Amazon), whole mustard seed, whole cloves, bay leaves, allspice and a bit of patience. It takes 3 weeks of brining in the solution. And aprox 3-3.5 hours of a slow simmer. It certainly beats that so-called corned beef in a tin.

As I said above, after a great meal you will have plenty of leftovers to make corn beef sandwiches. TIP: go to your local bakers and buy either some Jewish rye bread, or pumpernickel.

Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top