Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 09:43 PM

Electric cars by 2030

Yes the government has announced they’re bringing forward the ban on all new combustion engine cars by 2030, only ten years, hybrids will follow five years after that, so everyone will be driving EVs, if they want a new car, they’ll have to get their finger out if they want to have the charging infrastructure in place but I doubt we’ll be anywhere near ready judging by previous ideas that the government have had
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:02 PM

Re: Electric cars by 2030

I don't think this is entirely Climate driven (excuse the pun)...
In order to get the economy back into good condition and recover some of the money lost through covid, it requires everyone to start spending more money. What better way that to get every driver in the country to buy a new car.

There will be drivers trying to beat the deadline by purchasing the last diesel or petrol engined cars, or others making the swop to an electric vehicle....Just stand by for the rush....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:05 PM

So what happens to the approx 40 million cars that will become surplus to requirement? Where will they go?
Will they all be squashed down into something the size of an 0xo cube?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think this is entirely Climate driven (excuse the pun)...
In order to get the economy back into good condition and recover some of the money lost through covid, it requires everyone to start spending more money. What better way that to get every driver in the country to buy a new car.

There will be drivers trying to beat the deadline by purchasing the last diesel or petrol engined cars, or others making the swop to an electric vehicle....Just stand by for the rush....
Foxy, Who will be able to afford one? They don’t come cheap.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So what happens to the approx 40 million cars that will become surplus to requirement? Where will they go?

They're not banning the use of existing ICE cars just the sale of new ones.

So it'll be goodbye VED hello road pricing.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Good question art, I suspect there will be a lucrative market for car parts to be sent abroad, or to be used to keep existing cars on the road, although, once EVs become mainstream then the internal combustion engine will be no more..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2020, 10:48 PM

Banning petrol and diesel cars in ten years' time is absolutely ridiculous for several different reasons. I'm not stating anything new here. These are all things that have been widely discussed before.

Firstly, where is the generating infrastructure to provide all the necessary additional electricity? How many nuclear power stations can we build in ten years, and don't talk to me about windmills!

Then there is the little problem of where many car owners, perhaps the majority, will charge their cars overnight. It's OK if you have your own garage or at least a drive, but what about all those people living in terraced houses or multi-storey flats who presently leave their cars on the roadside. Will they be able to run charging cables across the pavement to their cars, hoping that no-one trips over them or nicks them?

The government have a pie in the sky idea of saving the planet by banning IC engines, but surely that would include those biggest polluters of all, HGVs. I wonder just how far they would travel on a single charge and that would be exacerbated by the far heavier loads that they carry. Many of these travel the length and breadth of the country - on one charge?

I could go on (as I'm sure you all know well enough), but that's enough for this post. I'm sure others will add several other reasons why this half-baked idea will not work, certainly not in ten years' time.
Primus1
York

18-11-2020, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
They're not banning the use of existing ICE cars just the sale of new ones.

So it'll be goodbye VED hello road pricing.
Road pricing has been on the agenda many times by various governments but it’s a bit of a hot potato and has been shelved in the past, but it is back on the agenda again as rishi sunak is considering it again
Primus1
York

18-11-2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Banning petrol and diesel cars in ten years' time is absolutely ridiculous for several different reasons. I'm not stating anything new here. These are all things that have been widely discussed before.

Firstly, where is the generating infrastructure to provide all the necessary additional electricity? How many nuclear power stations can we build in ten years, and don't talk to me about windmills!

Then there is the little problem of where many car owners, perhaps the majority, will charge their cars overnight. It's OK if you have your own garage or at least a drive, but what about all those people living in terraced houses or multi-storey flats who presently leave their cars on the roadside. Will they be able to run charging cables across the pavement to their cars, hoping that no-one trips over them or nicks them?

The government have a pie in the sky idea of saving the planet by banning IC engines, but surely that would include those biggest polluters of all, HGVs. I wonder just how far they would travel on a single charge and that would be exacerbated by the far heavier loads that they carry. Many of these travel the length and breadth of the country - on one charge?

I could go on (as I'm sure you all know well enough), but that's enough for this post. I'm sure others will add several other reasons why this half-baked idea will not work, certainly not in ten years' time.

Yes JBR the infrastructure is nowhere near yet, not by a long way, interestingly, I read recently of a swiss family ( I think) holidaying in France, they had an electric car which in itself was perfectly fine, but when it came to charging it they found the charging points were either not working , or, they couldn’t make a payment as it did not accept their cards, I know it’s abroad, but it will be the same here unless it’s all coordinated, I’m not holding my breath...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 10:01 AM

I would love an electric car I drive very little these days only small local journeys so could charge it at home.
The maintenance will be a lot cheaper.

There is a subsidy to install home charging points, the problem is I can't afford an electric car.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top