Join for free
Page 158 of 370 « First < 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 04:40 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Nothing like starting a holiday with the workout of your life, Floydy! That was a long list of exercises you did with what sounds to me like heavy ( you would probably say moderate) weights with a lot of reps. I would have been numb and dragging my knuckles on the ground after that much arm work, Floydy! What will you do on your break to keep up your fitness? It's always so good to hear when forum members have been out having a well-deserved good time and even better when the weather cooperates.

OGF! What a joy it was to open this thread and find that you had been exercising! What did you think of that strange place where the air moves, green things grow everywhere, and a warming bright orb hangs above your head? If you aren't sure, allow me to introduce you to "Outdoors". I think you will enjoy each other immensely. .

It does become something we need, this getting outside. I think our minds and bodies respond to it, raining all those happy chemicals into our brains. Having taken a hiatus after knee surgery years ago, going cold turkey (or tofu, as the case may be) on my running was like withdrawal - affecting my sleep patterns, eating, and general sense of well-being. I often refer to doing something outdoors as my "drug of choice." An inexpensive one too, I might add.

What a day here! Between the approaching storm system, and trying to get out of town before the winds pick up tomorrow has had me running around all day cleaning with one hand and tossing things into suitcases with another. That said, I was able to put in a speedy little four miler before getting organized.

While I am not much of a worrier, this is my true confession: I admit to this strange anxiety just prior to a vacation that I am going to leave my running shoes behind. It would be a crisis of the first order.

Looking forward to theses volunteering efforts that there will be plenty of opportunities for hiking, surfing, and running volcanic fields (dormant). There's nothing like the incline a volcanic ridge for the hill work that I have been craving for so long. It should be less humid, so the excuses will be nil.

Now my problem is that I have to avoid all those coconut drinks and beans, because of Floydy's reports of dehydration and other problems....

What is a woman to do?

(Must pack shoes, must pack shoes, must pack....)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 10:33 AM

How do you know when you're getting old?
Because some young 'Whippersnapper' thinks they can teach their grandmother (or grandfather) how to suck eggs....

AND....because the old geezer keeps referring back to times gone by (the 'Good' old days) So for the second part of the exercise......

When I was an engineer.....bla bla bla....stuck inside a factory for eight or ten hours a day, longingly gazing out of the window or big roly door, wishing I was out there..

The weekend came and I was like a coiled spring and couldn't wait to motor off to some wild and remote part of the country to run, walk or cycle until the sun set......and sometimes beyond..... There was no going back for me, so when I was made redundant I became a courier and travelled the world....New York, Paris, Rome and Yorkshire......Mainly Yorkshire though.... And apart from the parcels, my running kit was a permanent fixture in my van....They even had their own shelf!..

After that I took a job with 'Royal Mail' and delivered the post, trudging the streets of Ackworth and Featherstone, wondering why I had not done this earlier in my career.....

So thank you Surfermom, for bringing to my attention the wonders that lay outside my door, you cheeky mare......

Floydy... What a mammoth workout, but while I'm in a sort of reflective mood, I might be able to throw some light on your superhuman effort.
I attended my Mum's retirement party some years ago, and because I was nominated as the driver I was destined for an evening of drinking Coca Cola. I must have downed about the same amount as you (your two pints of Orange Squash) and you would have received a similar amount of sugar.

Next morning was Sunday, and a scheduled long run of fifteen miles. Well I ran out of my socks.... and set a personal best for that course which still stands to this day...I repeated the coke trick many times after that, all with similar results, and set some very good times for the marathon and half marathon.

The big breakfast would have also played its part. Strange how foods, and combinations of foods can produce amazing results. The fats in the big breakfast would have prevented the sugars in the squash from transferring directly into your bloodstream and thereby producing a more longer lasting energy release....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Nothing like starting a holiday with the workout of your life, Floydy! That was a long list of exercises you did with what sounds to me like heavy ( you would probably say moderate) weights with a lot of reps. I would have been numb and dragging my knuckles on the ground after that much arm work, Floydy! What will you do on your break to keep up your fitness? It's always so good to hear when forum members have been out having a well-deserved good time and even better when the weather cooperates.

What a day here! Between the approaching storm system, and trying to get out of town before the winds pick up tomorrow has had me running around all day cleaning with one hand and tossing things into suitcases with another. That said, I was able to put in a speedy little four miler before getting organized.

Looking forward to theses volunteering efforts that there will be plenty of opportunities for hiking, surfing, and running volcanic fields (dormant). There's nothing like the incline a volcanic ridge for the hill work that I have been craving for so long. It should be less humid, so the excuses will be nil.

Now my problem is that I have to avoid all those coconut drinks and beans, because of Floydy's reports of dehydration and other problems....

What is a woman to do?

(Must pack shoes, must pack shoes, must pack....)
A fantastic description of your holiday plans, Suzie, although it sounds more like a 'working vacation' with you getting involved in all manner of outdoors pursuits. Whatever, it looks a great fun time and I'm sure you'll enjoy it

My fitness holiday plans? =Nil. I intend to relax totally. A year on nights and all that pounding myself silly in the gym...no, I'll be taking it really easy. Bit of swimming and exploring the island perhaps but that will be all. I've done my bit I think.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Floydy... What a mammoth workout, but while I'm in a sort of reflective mood, I might be able to throw some light on your superhuman effort.
I attended my Mum's retirement party some years ago, and because I was nominated as the driver I was destined for an evening of drinking Coca Cola. I must have downed about the same amount as you (your two pints of Orange Squash) and you would have received a similar amount of sugar.
Very true with the orange and breakfast intake, Bob. It's an inexpensive alternative to vast amounts of pre-workout formulas which I used to purchase each month, along with protein shakes and many other fitness supplements - a total waste of money when you can beans and eggs and two pints of Tesco squash instead!

Love your description of you pre-retirement adventures, i.e. work. I didn't know what you used to do for a living, but I'm extremely pleased that it turns out you were a postman/courier and that you worked for a living like myself, not sat behind a desk in a pinstriped suit like my boring next door neighbour does counting other people's money. Nice one bud
Physio tomorrow is it? Let us know how it goes apl

Me, I won't be doing my legs session today, I need a bloody rest after yesterday's slaughterous session. True, it was upper body, but I'm simply wiped out! And I'm back at work tonight too, so time to chill in the garden for a couple of hours I think trying to get some kind of 'base tan' for my hols. Definitely do the session tomorrow though.

Take care all...Lion Queen, Ruthio, Mups etc...where are you ladies?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Well gang, no sooner had I finished writing up my last post that I felt an enormous wave of guilt flow over me telling me that I should have done my planned legs session today and not be a lazy b-----d and lounge around in the garden, so I went to the gym and put in another mother of a session…

Monday, 28 May 18: Legs:
(All weights in kgs)

Incline press:
60x150, 40x200, 20x250, 50x100

Sled press:
100x120, 30x150, 20x200, 50x100

*On those two main exercises I more or less doubled my usual session with the reps, plus I added some extra weight too, which I had already written down beforehand - no way did I think I would accomplish it though. How I managed all that I do not know, but my legs were going up and down like pistons today somehow! Sometimes I would pause briefly, but I never dropped the weight – just a couple of breaths and I was off again.

Seated ham curls:
30x40, 20x50, 10x60, 25x35

Adductor:
30x60, 20x60, 15x60

Abductor:
30x60, 20x60, 15x60

Time 35 mins.

It’s amazing what you can do in little over half an hour. Surprisingly, despite sweating buckets I felt okay after all that; a little wobbly on my legs due to the sudden extra weight I was carrying, but the legs felt good and I returned home and to my subsequent idea of sitting in the sun.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2018, 11:30 AM

Do you realise Floydy; You've used enough energy over the last week or so, to light a small town.........Wish I was young again.......Well perhaps not! There was bad times as well as the good.....

Speaking of 'Bad Times' On Sunday's little jaunt where I walked five miles with a smidgen of jogging, I managed to complete the route in 78 minutes.......and then required assistance to remove my running shoes due to my inability to bend down without breaking the pain of glass that seemed to be tucked under the back of my shorts.

Well!.....This morning I repeated the process and managed to stick a whole lot more jogging into the mix, which produced the heady time of 71 minutes....
I even was able to bend without too much discomfort while washing the dog muck off my shoe that I'd inadvertently stepped into somewhere on route.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Slowly but surely you're getting there, Bob. Persevere mate and I'm sure with some more physio that percentage of walking vs. running will change places.
Can you remove your shoes with your other foot, i.e. without bending down? And maybe you could simply kick your socks off too?!

No training for me today, I need a rest.
Last night at work I must have walked at least ten miles around the warehouse. I was working upstairs and walking back and forth with a roller cage relocating stock and after yesterday's killer legs session I really didn't need the extra exercise - but on the other hand, it seemed to loosen me up a little, so it served as great cardio, however tedious it all was.

Tomorrow will be my final gym session before I fly away on Friday. On Thursday I'll be too busy, plus there's no way I'm training the day before I go on holiday. I've done that before and I've been in agony stiffening up on the plane.
So I have a workout planned which will be three sets and should take about an hour and a half. Pretty strenuous but it won't almost finish me off like the weekend's workouts nearly did.

Talk later
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 03:18 PM

Reading and checking in, sitting in an a Los Angeles airport waiting to board the flight to Hawai'i. Jealous of those workouts and outdoor time while all I seem to be doing you sit, sit, sit. I did find a nice gym in the hotell which gave me the opportunity to burn off a few miles on an elliptical. Hopefully I'll be catching up with a lot of hiking in the next two weeks. Great job you two! Good news that you felt better yesterday, OGF! Enjoy your holiday, Floydy! Next repor soon....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6412.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	6067

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy
Take care all...Lion Queen, Ruthio, Mups etc...where are you ladies?
Just back from a wonderful week away at Centre Parcs Forest Longleat.
Lots of swimming and lots of walking!
Oh, and walked at least three miles last night there and back to Rolling Stones concert
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Reading and checking in, sitting in an a Los Angeles airport waiting to board the flight to Hawai'i. Jealous of those workouts and outdoor time while all I seem to be doing you sit, sit, sit. I did find a nice gym in the hotell which gave me the opportunity to burn off a few miles on an elliptical. Hopefully I'll be catching up with a lot of hiking in the next two weeks. Great job you two! Good news that you felt better yesterday, OGF! Enjoy your holiday, Floydy! Next repor soon....Attachment 6067
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Just back from a wonderful week away at Centre Parcs Forest Longleat.
Lots of swimming and lots of walking!
Oh, and walked at least three miles last night there and back to Rolling Stones concert
Wow! Two more going away/come back off their hol's.

Suzie - Have a fantastic time in Hawaii. Don't train too hard - you're meant to be relaxing
Ruthio - Centerparcs is different. It's geared towards being active. Glad you had a great time...and you saw The Stones too!! Amazing
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-05-2018, 03:52 PM

My final session before my holiday and I made it shorter than initially planned. I do still have to work tonight for the last time and a heavy session would render me zombiefied later, so I just did the basics.

Wednesday, 30 May 18:
(All weights in kgs)

DB press:
20x20, 9x26, 14x16

Smith shoulder press (bench 60:
10x30, 6x40, 15x20
*An almost upright position with the bench ensures the work is done by the shoulders and delt muscles, rather than the chest.

Smith chest press, flat bench, close grip:
20x30, 10x40, 20x25
*With the close grip and with the bench positioned further back, I was pushing up from virtually the upper waist area. This works the lower chest muscles rather than the upper chest.

Chest press:
20x40, 10x60, 15x35
*Seated pushing the bars out in front at head height, this is a good all-rounder for the chest and inner shoulder muscles, along with the triceps.

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
20x28, 8x38
20x18 wide grip
*The close grip builds the inner ‘belly’ of the bicep, whereas the wider grip extends the top ‘peak’.

Machine arm curls:
25x25, 10x35, 15x20

Tricep extensions:
25x40, 8x60, 20x35

Tricep pumps:
30x15

Bicep pumps:
30x15

Ab crunch:
50x35
*If my abs aren’t showing enough now for my hol’s they never will be. There is some vague definition there!

Seated ham curls:
25x40

Sled press:
25x150
*Rather moderate leg exercises to finish off with today. They are still in shock from Monday’s effort!

Time 45 mins.

That will do, I’m pleasantly satisfied with my progress and the work I’ve put in for my holiday “physique”. I’m not looking too badly out of shape.
I have lost some belly flab and I’m more toned all round with the arms and legs in particularly good nick. I'm certainly more in shape than I was 12 months ago on my last vacation.

Suzie, Bod and everyone else who resides in here from time to time thanks for your support and I’ll be back pumping the iron once more come the middle of June.

Woohoo!!! No more work for nearly two whole weeks!

Take care and keep yourselves fit and healthy. I won't be...that's all on hold until I get back

Page 158 of 370 « First < 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 258 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top