Join for free
Page 258 of 370 « First < 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 > Last »
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Haven't been able to check performance in the gym as the electronic key system has been down the last couple of times I have been there. "No Internet Access" message on the console, meaning the machines can't transmit any data. Technology, eh! I knew it was all too good to be true.

I decided just to have fun and didn't even bother counting the reps manually. I actually increased some weights, too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Haven't been able to check performance in the gym as the electronic key system has been down the last couple of times I have been there. "No Internet Access" message on the console, meaning the machines can't transmit any data. Technology, eh! I knew it was all too good to be true.

I decided just to have fun and didn't even bother counting the reps manually. I actually increased some weights, too.
There's something to be said for that kind of workout too, though I am surprised that there is no one to address the tech issue. Some of the best running I have every done has been without the running watch and nothing pressing to do.

It's cloudy, rainy and very cold but with the next several days being on the road, I am not going to be dissuaded by the weather today. By checking in, I have to make a go of it so...

Thank you, Floydy and good call on ramping up slowly!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 11:12 PM

We seem to have swapped weather Surfermom, this mornings five was under a clear blue sky and a rising sun. Apparently Friday could reach 15*C very unusual for this time of year. I just hope it's not the lull before the storm.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 04:10 AM

Give me my weather back, OGF!

Actually, you are welcome to borrow it for a while, as long as you promise to give it back..

With a day trip in the car tomorrow, I'll be spending it mostly with my face pressed against the window, wishing I was on the other side of the glass. While that's a bit of an exaggeration since I'll be driving, an outdoor run is out of the question. With good fortune though, the hotel will have a proper gym so I can at least run on the hamster mill and remember Floydy's tips while I make my way around the expected machines.

Even with the rain, and to my word, I dove into the rainy day to find that the winds had died down and it was warmer than expected. Though it wasn't raining cats and dogs - it was seemingly raining frogs! Where the main road crosses my little creek, several tiny toads were hopping the way across the road. I stopped long enough to chase them back into the marsh so they wouldn't fall victim to passing cars. Back on my way, with squishing shoes and rain dripping of the tip of my nose, I sloshed my way onward.

Remember when we used to splash in the puddles when we were little? Well for five miles, I did just that....

I hope you find yourself on the good side of the windows tomorrow!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Oldgreyfox! The more I get to know you, the more impressed I am. This is beyond impressive. You are the kind of person I thought I’d be more like but I stuck to swimming and high intensity workouts instead. Either way I was hooked on that Adrenalin rush you speak of.

May I ask what the difference is between road running and running on the fells. Are the fells, the softer shoulders of the road?

What an incredible adventure you have had thus far. One can’t hekp but be inspired.

What did your wife think of your running when she first met you and did she do any running with you?

Oddly enough my husband used to be a runner when he was younger but that was about the only physical sport he did which is why I was so shocked that he joined the gym with me but am glad he did.

The other day instead of running I opted to try one of those machines that allows you to run without picking your feet up. Your feet fit into paddle like objects and move with you when you run , taking away all the harsh impact of running. I really enjoyed it. I liked the freedom of having space around me. I’ve got a certain amount of privacy that I don’t have while running around the track and while I’m honestly flattered that I’m being noticed, I truly don’t like it. That’s the part of going to the gym that I dislike the most but I have to push past it and am doing so.

Oddly enough I’d somehow forgottten that many people actually like getting noticed and seem to go out of their way to do so After working out on the weight lifting machines I usually do my leg workout near the wall climbing area but there was a group of rock climbers there. The only other place to workout only has three mats on the floor and they are right near where the free weighters workout and oddly enough is very busy and a much wanted area for some reason. Some people really want to be noticed whereas I’d rather just be noticed as part of the background so I found a pile of workout pads, grabbed one and found my own secluded spot. Yay! It makes the world of difference to me. I loved my workout then.
I don’t like being too close to people. It makes me extremely uncomfortable and I doubt that’s going to change any time soon.

This workout , I ran 4 1/2 miles, did some free weight lifting as well as working out in a few of the machines. I’m starting to feel really buff.

Oh and I’m extra excited today because I want to have a family reunion BBQ in our backyard this summer and want to have live music created by us. ( my family ) I come from a very musical family so I asked my brother yesterday if he’d be interested in bringing up his trumpet and sound system so we could entertain the guests and he not only agreed but said he’d ask my nephew if he’d play his bass. I’ve got a keyboard, sing and play both alto and soprano saxophone so I’m tickled pink.
We’re gonna rock our neighbourhood that weekend and it will be most fun & memorable.

I’m going to the gym again today.
Have a great day everyone.

Tachyon. Really ? I hadn’t thought of that possibility happening and really count on my machines to do what they are supposed to do but I’m somewhat spoiled.

Surfermom... I now have visions of you splashing your way through puddles like a school girl.

Floyd.... impressive as usual. It’s nice noticing improvement.
I can actually relate to that feeling
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Aww' thanks Bratti, much appreciated..
I haven't forgot your questions and will explain in more detail later, I've just nipped in to post some breaking news about this mornings five mile run.....

After a lackluster run yesterday I thought I'd go out this morning and go through the motions for the sake of continuity.......

How wrong I was, no matter how fast I ran I just didn't get tired and stormed round over two minutes faster than yesterday, and 24 seconds faster than last years record.....

In fact you need to go back to 2016 to find a better time on that course......Amazing! Just off down the cafe' to celebrate with a bowl of soup and a hunk of Victoria Sponge cake!...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Sometimes it's good to have to improvise, Tachyon because you do find that you can actually better yourself without going through a tried and tested formula. Well done bud

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
With good fortune though, the hotel will have a proper gym so I can at least run on the hamster mill and remember Floydy's tips while I make my way around the expected machines.

Even with the rain, and to my word, I dove into the rainy day to find that the winds had died down and it was warmer than expected. Though it wasn't raining cats and dogs - it was seemingly raining frogs! Where the main road crosses my little creek, several tiny toads were hopping the way across the road. I stopped long enough to chase them back into the marsh so they wouldn't fall victim to passing cars. Back on my way, with squishing shoes and rain dripping of the tip of my nose, I sloshed my way onward.
Sounds pretty wet out there right now, Suzie. Good on yer though for "sloshing around" and making the effort.
Good luck with the gym work too. Let me know which apparatus you end up doing, it will be interesting to hear of your results! Safe journey to the hotel

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
The other day instead of running I opted to try one of those machines that allows you to run without picking your feet up. Your feet fit into paddle like objects and move with you when you run , taking away all the harsh impact of running. I really enjoyed it. I liked the freedom of having space around me. I’ve got a certain amount of privacy that I don’t have while running around the track and while I’m honestly flattered that I’m being noticed, I truly don’t like it. That’s the part of going to the gym that I dislike the most but I have to push past it and am doing so.

Floydy.... impressive as usual. It’s nice noticing improvement.
I can actually relate to that feeling
Sounds a bit like a cross trainer machine, Bratti. Holding the handles whilst standing in foot holes and 'running' along as such?
I'm quite a solitary person at the gym too, I enjoy my own space and aside from when I was bodybuilding years ago where I would have a training partner (or 'spotter'), I like to get on with things in my own time.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Aww' thanks Bratti, much appreciated..
I haven't forgot your questions and will explain in more detail later, I've just nipped in to post some breaking news about this mornings five mile run.....

After a lackluster run yesterday I thought I'd go out this morning and go through the motions for the sake of continuity.......

How wrong I was, no matter how fast I ran I just didn't get tired and stormed round over two minutes faster than yesterday, and 24 seconds faster than last years record.....
Fabulous effort, Bob. You definitely earned your sponge cake!

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 01:45 AM

Friday 22/2/19: “60-reppers” (30-20-10).
Full body – Part 1. 1hr. 05mins.
(All weights in kgs)

It was a long and tedious week at work this week. We seem to be going through a bit of a quiet patch at the moment, the past 2-3 weeks being particularly tiresome with my work in a stock control capacity being especially flat. The main reason is because of our adjacent new huge warehouse being under construction and the reluctancy of the company’s desire to be receiving much new stock and/or returns right now to vendors, leaving my job as an incredibly mundane task most nights doing stock counts or “audits” just to fill in the time until 6 a.m. This in turn leaves me even more intent to be looking elsewhere when the time comes to leave that desperate place of work. But it’s a job, it’s secure and we’re actually doing very well with sales (or so they tell us), so I have no choice but to stick it out. There is that light at the end of the tunnel which for me comes in October when I’ll be 55 and I’m able to pay off all of our debts after clawing our way back from impulsive spending over twenty years ago. It happens, but you get through it and when we do we will be in a much better position financially with the prospect of re-evaluating our circumstances.

Anyway, enough rambling. My point is that I only live for the weekends at the moment, save for the paltry 2-3 hours I get free in the afternoons to visit the gym and ‘chill out’ (if you can call pounding the steel relaxing) and help my stepdaughter with her moving house, which is a change of scene.

Today though, I was busy doing the monthly food shopping, trawling the supermarkets for groceries and other essentials. By the end of this it got to 4.30pm and after unpacking and putting everything in its relevant cupboard or refrigerator I was changed and ready for the gym for some “me time” once more.

To the training then, and I was all set to have another bash at my “40-30-20-10” 100-rep style routine until I decided that banging all those reps out is rather pointless and this workout can be fine-tuned a touch. So I decided to ditch the first set of 40 reps entirely to focus more stringently on three remaining sets but embracing some of my recent “pause” type structure into the equation by making the final 5 reps of each set very slow and controlled in their movement and thus working the muscles to their best efforts, still using light weights. I had a list of almost twenty exercises but found this pretty taxing after running around all afternoon shopping so I’ll be continuing with this programme today (yes, it’s Saturday already and the first chance I’ve had to do my write-up after chilling out most of the evening watching my new box set ‘Homeland’). Part one then…

UPPER BODY

Smith flat bench press, close-grip:
30x25, 20x25, 10x25

Chest press:
30x35, 20x35, 10x35

Arm curl, both arms:
30x20, 20x20, 10x20
*Increase to 25kg next week.

Seated row:
30x29, 20x29, 10x29
*I’m utilising this exercise in a different way now. Because the weight is very low, instead of pulling and leaning back I’m sitting virtually upright and just using my arms more instead of my back doing most of the work. With the arms pulling the weight nearer to the chest this puts more pressure on the biceps and shoulders, especially in the five final reps.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
30x30, 20x30, 10x30

Single DB press, flat bench:
30x42, 20x42, 10x42

Pec dec:
30X30, 20X30, 10X30

Fly delt dec:
30x80, 20x80, 10x80

E-Z preacher curl:
30x18, 20x18, 10x18

Tricep extensions:
30x35, 20x35, 10x35

LEGS

incline press:
30x200, 20x200, 10x200
*making up for the omission of the 40-rep first set with an increase of 50kg on the weight, this was heavy-going, especially the final few reps of each set where I went very deep with the legs, the knees touching my belly!

Adductor:
30x50, 20x50, 10x50

I'd have done a few more exercises on the legs but the time was after 5 p.m. and the gym was rammed. I couldn't get on anything else and I wisely abandoned any more efforts until the next day. Pleased with the way it all went though Next week I’ll revise the format with my notes amended to include upped weights. A very effective workout and I’m looking forward to part two later today.

Thanks for reading
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

23-02-2019, 04:46 PM

Saturday 23/2/19: “60-reppers” (30-20-10).
Full body – Part 2.
1hr. 05mins.
(All weights in kgs)

A lovely summer’s day here in Hull driving to my stepdaughter’s this morning. More pictures, a clock and a mirror hung onto the walls plus a curtain pole fixed and some struggling to heave a large wardrobe up the stairs. Three hours later I somehow still had some energy left to travel further onwards to the gym, where I set upon Part 2 of my session of which I began yesterday.
All different exercises, same 30-20-10 routine with a pause after each five reps to continue the remainder of the reps very slowly it ensures you get nicely pumped up by the end of it all.

UPPER BODY

Shoulder press:
30x30, 20x30, 10x30

Triceps cable pulldown, alt.:
30x35, 20x35, 10x35
*I’m not a big fan of cable exercises as I somehow can never get the grips to feel comfortable in my oversized hands. The benefits outweigh that problem though as they are fantastically effective for the triceps.

Triceps pulldown, reverse-grip bar:
30x41, 20x41, 10x41
*An exercise I’ve only just started to reintroduce to my sessions. The bar is similar to an E-Z curl bar but it is attached to the top pulley cable and pulled down by using an underneath grip – so in effect you are utilising mainly the thumbs only to pull the stack. Again, an amazingly effective bit of kit and it burns and pumps out the triceps like nothing else!

Rope pull-up, alt.:
30x7.5, 20x7.5, 10x7.5
*This was extremely difficult. Attaching a rope to the stack machine at the bottom setting and pulling up the weight with one hand, keeping your arm close to the sides, then the other one. It is primarily for exercising the sides of the arms just outside the elbows, plus the outer biceps get some work too. It really isn’t an easy exercise to perform but again, it blows up the arms.

Rope pulldown, alt.:
30x10, 20x10, 10x10
*A reverse of the pull-up, this sees the user grab the end ball of the rope and pull it down lifting a small weight. This is mainly for the forearms so not a great deal of weight is needed. I normally do both arms with the rope pulls but decided to diversify a little today.

Lying bicep curls:
30x15, 20x15, 10x15
*Lying on the floor with the head on a core bag, knees slightly bent and facing the stack weight machine, you pull the weight towards you with a close grip on the bar isolating the biceps fully as you go as far as possible to the shoulders. Holding the weight there for a few seconds is torturous and as the bar is lowered the arms tend to go into spasm slightly, veins showing scarily!

DB concentration curl, alt.:
30x10, 20x10, 10x10
*Using a small 10kg weight – remember you’re doing thirty reps on each arm curl – lift fully to the shoulder and pause for a second then slowly lower almost locking the arm out at the bottom. Despite the weight, this was a killer especially as I had to repeat it all with a set of 20 then a final set of 10. My biceps were out like cannonballs after that little lot!

LEGS

Sled press:
30x180, 20x180, 10x180
*An extreme weight to do this many reps on as I’d normally be doing no more than 120 on the sled for these on the usual high reps, but I managed it well. If my legs could speak they wouldn’t agree though!

Seated ham curls:
30x30, 20x30, 10x30

Extensions:
30x35, 20x35, 10x35

That was it for today, another fine session in the bag and I’m feeling fit and strong but fit to drop as well! Tonight we’re going up to our local pub to see a local glam rock band, which should be fun.
Tomorrow, no big plans although I do have the night off work so I may even contemplate another gym session. We’ll see how I’ve recovered from these two!

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-02-2019, 12:42 PM

A good couple of days workouts Floydy, they left me feeling tired...
Good to see you back at the helm....

Took Mrs Fox to Hornsea yesterday and after a good meal at the Garden Centre on the way, we made for the beach for a walk. She's been struggling with a swollen knee for a while so it was just a short walk and some reviving sea air.
Glorious sunshine all afternoon and there were plenty of people taking advantage.....

The beaches at Hornsea are some of the finest on the East Coast, but you must keep an eye on the tides, it comes in very fast and there is no escape....
There's a fantastic ten mile walk based on this beach, it also takes in part of the Trans Pennine Way....A cycle route all the way across the country to Liverpool.

Sorry about the blurred photo of me, sometimes the self timer has a mind of its own....A bit like Mrs Fox who was almost half a mile in front....

Page 258 of 370 « First < 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top